Executive Order 9646
|←Executive Order 9645||Executive Order 9646
Coat of Arms, Seal, and Flag of the President of the United States
|Executive Order 9647→|
|Partially revokes: Executive Order 2390 Superseded by: Executive Order 10823 on May 26, 1959.|
By virtue of the authority vested in me as President of the United States, it is hereby ordered as follows:
The Coat of Arms of the President of the United States shall be of the following design:
- SHIELD: Paleways of thirteen pieces Argent and Gules, a chief Azure; upon the breast of an American eagle displayed holding in his dexter talon an olive branch and in his sinister a bundle of thirteen arrows all Proper, and in his beak a white scroll inscribed "E PLURIBUS UNUM" Sable.
- CREST: Behind and above the eagle a radiating glory Or, on which appears an arc of thirteen cloud puffs proper, and a constellation of thirteen mullets Argent.
- The whole surrounded by white stars arranged in the form of an annulet with one point of each star outward on the imaginary radiating center lines, the number of stars conforming to the number of stars in the union of the Flag of the United States as established by the act of Congress approved April 4, 1818, 3 Stat. 415.
The Seal of the President of the United States shall consist of the Coat of Arms encircled by the words "Seal of the President of the United States."
The Color and Flag of the President of the United States shall consist of a dark blue rectangular background of sizes and proportions to conform to military and naval custom, on which shall appear the Coat of Arms of the President in proper colors. The proportions of the elements of the Coat of Arms shall be in direct relation to the hoist, and the fly shall vary according to the customs of the military and naval services.
That portion of Executive Order No. 2390 of May 29, 1916, pertaining to the illustration and requirements for the President's Flag is revoked.
The Coat of Arms, Seal, and Color and Flag shall be as described herein and as set forth in the illustrations and specifications which accompany this order and which are hereby made a part thereof.
These designs shall be used to represent the President of the United States exclusively.
This order shall be published in the FEDERAL REGISTER.
The White House,
- October 25, 1945.
- Specifications For President's Flag
- Flag base—blue.
- Stars, large and small—white.
- Chief—light blue.
- Stripes—white and red.
- Wings, body, upper legs—shades of brown.
- Head, neck, tail—white, shaded gray.
- Beak, feet, lower legs—yellow.
- Talons—dark gray, white high lights.
- Arrows—white, shaded gray.
- Olive branch:
- Leaves, stem—shades of green.
- Olives—light green.
- Clouds—white, shaded gray.
- Scroll—white with gray shadows.
- All dimensions are exclusive of heading and hems.
- Device to appear on both sides of flag but will appear reversed on reverse side of flag, except that the motto shall read from left to right on both sides.
|RELATIVE PROPORTIONS OF DESIGN TO HOIST OF FLAG|
|DIMENSIONS OF DESIGN||A (HOIST)||B||C||D||E||F||G||H||J||K||L||M||N||O||P||Q||R||S||T||U||V||W|
- Act of April 4, 1818, Fifteenth Congress, Session 1, Chapter 34. (bottom of page)
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).|