1922 Encyclopædia Britannica/California, University of
CALIFORNIA, UNIVERSITY OF (see 5.22). During the decade 1910-20 the university of California grew to such an extent that in the latter year it stood foremost in number of students among American universities. In the degree-giving departments on Nov. 1 1920 the enrolment was as follows: at Berkeley, in the schools of Letters and Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Chemistry, Commerce, Jurisprudence, Medicine (part), Education and Architecture, 8,726 undergraduates, of whom 4,757 were men and 3, 969 women; and 943 graduates, of whom 484 were men and 459 women; at San Francisco, in the Hastings School of Law, schools of Medicine (part), Dentistry, Pharmacy, Hooper Foundation for Medical Research, 656 students; at Los Angeles, in the southern branch (instruction in lower division), 872 students, and in the teachers' curricula, 1,108 students; making a total, less duplicates, of 11,197. There were in the university extension division courses 13,792; in the agricultural extension courses 5,625; in the summer session and intersession courses 6,436, and on the University of California Farm 530, making a grand total, less duplicates, of 37,480.
Between 1910 and 1920 many new buildings were erected, the most important being the Boalt Hall of Law (1911), costing $190,000, partly the gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Josselyn Boalt as a memorial to Judge Boalt and partly subscribed to by the lawyers of California; Agriculture Hall (1912), costing $267,000; Benjamin Ide Wheeler Hall (1917), costing $700,000, and Hilgard Hall (1917) costing $350,000, both buildings the gift of the people of California; Gilman Hall for the Chemistry department (1917), costing $197,000; Sather Tower (1914), costing $200,000 besides $25,000 for bells; and the University Library, completed in 1917 at a cost of $1,442,339.41, of which $730,000 was bequeathed by Charles Franklin Doe. The number of volumes in the library was 427,930 in 1920.
After twenty years of service Dr. Benjamin Ide Wheeler resigned the office of president July 15 1919, and on Dec. 2 1919 Dr. David P. Barrows, head of the department of Political Science, took his place as 9th president. Mrs. Phoebe Apperson Hearst, for 22 years a regent of the university, died April 13 1919. Among her many gifts were the Hearst Mining Building, Hearst Hall, scholarships amounting to more than $30,000; contributions to the Anthropological museum, $130,000; and the swimming pool for women. The death of Henry Morse Stephens, for 17 years a professor in the university, occurred in 1919. In his memory his friends planned to erect a $300,000 Student Union building to be known by his name, and also to raise a sum of money to support one or more travelling fellowships in Europe for university graduates in history.
The endowment of the university in 1920 was $7,253,926.57, yielding a gross income of $368,821.04. The total assets, including real estate and improvements, were $23,117,236.62. From July 1 1919 to June 30 1920 the income of the university, from the U.S. Government, was $159,338.90; from state appropriations, $2,722,904.37; from students' fees and deposits $594,210.96; from hospitals, infirmary and the professional colleges $501,706.83; from departmental sales and miscellaneous receipts $546,432.09; from gifts for current use $110,718.75; from gifts for buildings and equipment $302,263.82; and from gifts for endowment $530,343.86; making, with the income from endowment mentioned above, a total from all sources of $5,844,464.13.
In the World War 4,158 men and 36 women connected with the university served with the colours. This number is exclusive of the S.A.T.C. unit at the university with 1,926 men and 56 officers, and the Naval Unit with 498 men and nine officers. Fifty-four per cent of the enlisted personnel received commissions. Of the 121 faculty members in the service, 103 were commissioned.
(D. P. B.)