- Martin's Vineyard (1872)
- For the King's Dues (1874)
- Quaker Cousins (1879) in 3 vols.
- "Macdonell, James (1841-1879)," in Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, London: Smith, Elder, & Co. (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
Contributed many stories and articles to the Contemporary Review and the Atlantic Monthly
- "America Then and Now: Recollections of Lincoln" in The Contemporary Review (May 1917) IA
Works about MacdonellEdit
- "Death of Lady Macdonell," in The Times (1925)
- "Death: Agnes Macdonell," in The Times (1925)
Some or all works by this author are in the public domain in the United States because they were published before January 1, 1928.
The longest-living author of these works died in 1925, so these works are in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 97 years or less. These works may be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.