- Pleas of the crown for the county of Gloucester, 1884
- Justice and police, 1885
- Bracton's Note book. A collection of cases decided in the King's courts during the reign of Henry the Third. 1887
- Why the History of English Law is Not Written, 1888 (short work)
- Select pleas in manorial and other seignorial courts, 1889
- Three rolls of the King's court in the reign of King Richard the First. A.D. 1194-1195 Published 1891
- (ed.) The court baron, (1891) with William Paley Baildon
- English Law and the Renaissance [djvu]
- Domesday Book and Beyond (1896)
- Township and borough, 1898
- Roman canon law in the Church of England, 1898
- Magistri Vacarii summa de matrimonio. 1898 (short work)
- History of English Law Before the Time of Edward I, Volume One; Volume Two (Second Edition, 1898) (with Frederick Pollock)
- Political theories of the Middle Age by Otto Friedrich von Gierke, (translator) 1900
- English law and the renaissance, 1901
- The charters of the borough of Cambridge, With Mary Bateson, 1901
- Year Books of Edward II., 1903
- The life and letters of Leslie Stephen, 1906
- The Constitutional History of England (1908)
- The collected papers of Frederic William Maitland: Downing professor of the laws of England, 1911
- A sketch of English legal history. With Francis Charles Montague, 1915
- Equity, also the forms of action at common law, 1916
Contribution to Cambridge Modern HistoryEdit
- "The Anglican Settlement and the Scottish Reformation" book II, chapter XVI in Cambridge Modern History (1918)
- "The Corporation Sole"
- "The Crown as Corporation"
- "The Unincorporated Body"
- "The Domesday Book"
- "Trust and Corporation"
Works about MaitlandEdit
- Frederic William Maitland; two lectures and a bibliography by Arthur Lionel Smith, 1908
- Frederick William Maitland: Downing professor of the laws of England by Herbert Albert Laurens Fisher, 1910