Author:Herbert Allen Giles
(Redirected from Author:Herbert A. Giles)
|←Author Index: Gi||Herbert Allen Giles
|John Allen Giles and father of Lionel GilesBritish diplomat and sinologist; son of |
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "H. A. Gi"
- Synoptical Studies in Chinese Character (1874)
- A Chinese Biographical Dictionary (1898)
- A History of Chinese Literature (1901)
- China and the Chinese (1902)
- Religions of Ancient China (1906)
- The Civilization of China (1911)
- China and the Manchus (1912)
- Confucianism and Its Rivals (1915) (external scan)
- Record of the Buddhistic Kingdoms by Faxian (1877)
- Gems of Chinese Literature (1883; second edition: 1922)
- Chuang Tzŭ (1889)
- San Tzu Ching (1900)
- Strange stories from a Chinese studio by Pu Songling (1916)
- Chinese Fairy Tales (1920)
- Chinese Without a Teacher - being a collection of easy and useful sentences (1922)
Works about GilesEdit
- A Great Sinologue in The Spirit of the Chinese People (1915) runs an overly critical assessment from Ku Hong-Ming, a Malay-Chinese author included in H. A. Giles' Biographical Dictionary; the two writers later formed a productive friendship.