Author:Hosea Ballou Morse
|←Author Index: Mo||Hosea Ballou Morse
|Published under the name H.B. Morse. He was an American who served in the Chinese Imperial Maritime Custom Service from 1874 to 1908 and wrote scholarly publications after his retirement, most prominently The International Relations of the Chinese Empire, a three-volume chronicle of the relations of the Qing dynasty with Western countries, and Chronicles of the East India Company.|
- "Currency in China" in Journal of the North China Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 38 (1906)
- The Gilds of China (1909) (external scan)
- The Trade and Administration of the Chinese Empire (with F.L.H. Pott & A.T. Piry; Longmans, Green, & Co., 1908) (external scan)
- The International Relations of the Chinese Empire. London, New York: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1910–1918. 3 v.
- Volume I The Period of Conflict, 1834–1860,
- Volume II The Period of Submission, 1861-1893
- Volume III The Period of Subjection, 1894–1911
- The Trade and Administration of China. London, New York: Longmans, Green, 1910; Rev., 1913.
- The Trade and Administration of China. Shanghai: Kelly and Walsh; London, New York etc.: Longmans, Green, 3d rev., 1921.
- "The Supercargo in the China Trade about the year 1700" in The English Historical Review, 36 (1921), pp. 199−209
- The Chronicles of the East India Company, Trading to China 1635-1834. Oxford: The Clarendon press, 1926–1929. 5 v.
- In the Days of the Taipings, Being the Recollections of Ting Kienchang. Salem, Mass: The Essex Institute, 1927. A novel.
- (with Harley Farnsworth MacNair) Far Eastern International Relations. Boston, New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1931. Rpr. Russell & Russell, 1967
- The Gilds of China. London, New York: Longmans, Green, 2d, 1932.
Works about MorseEdit
- Richard J. Smith, ‘Morse, Hosea Ballou (1855–1934)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004)
- "Obituary Notices: Hosea Ballou Morse" by C. A. V. Bowra in The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, April, 1934 (2), pp. 425−430 (external scan)