Author:John Addington Symonds (1840-1893)
For authors with similar names, see Author:John Addington Symonds.
|←Author Index: Sy||John Addington Symonds
|English poet and literary critic|
This author wrote articles for the Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB9 by the initials "J. A. S."
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "J. A. S."
- The Escorial (1860) 
- An Introduction to the Study of Dante (1872)
- Studies of the Greek Poets (1873)
- A problem in Greek ethics: being an inquiry into the phenomenon of sexual inversion, addressed especially to medical psychologists and jurists (1873) 1908 edition
- Sketches of Italy and Greece (1874)
- Renaissance in Italy (1875-86), in 2 vols.
- Many Moods: a volume of verse (1878)
- Shelley (1878)
- The sonnets of Michael Angelo Buonarroti and Tommaso Campanella (1878) 
- New and Old: a volume of verse (1880)
- Animi Figura (1882)
- Shakspere's Predecessors in the English Drama (1884) (IA)
- Vagabunduli libellus (1884)
- Ben Jonson (1886)
- Sir Philip Sydney (1886)
- Our life in the Swiss highlands (1892), co-authored with Margaret Symonds
- Walt Whitman: a study (1893)
- In the key of blue and other prose essays (1893)
- The Life of Michael Angelo Buonarroti (1893)
- Essays, speculative and suggestive (1894)
- Blank verse (1895)
- Giovanni Boccaccio as man and author (1895)
- A Problem in Modern Ethics (1896)
- (History (C.))
- The Life of Benvenuto Cellini (1848), by Benvenuto Cellini
- Wine, women, and song; mediaeval Latin students' songs now first translated into English verse with an essay (1884)
- The memoirs of Count Carlo Gozzi (1890), by Carlo Gozzi, in 2 vols.
- "Danaë and her Babe adrift", by Simonides of Keos, in Masterpieces of Greek Literature (1902)
- "To an uncultured Lesbian Woman", by Sappho, in Masterpieces of Greek Literature (1902)
- "Winter", by Alcaeus of Mytilene, in Masterpieces of Greek Literature (1902)
- The works of Virgil (1880) by John Conington
Works about John Addington SymondsEdit
- John Addington Symonds, a biography (1903), by Horatio Robert Forbes Brown