Author:John Coakley Lettsom
|←Author Index: Le||John Coakley Lettsom
|English physician, polymath, and philanthropist|
- The naturalist's and traveller's companion, containing instructions for collecting and preserving objects of natural history and for promoting inquiries after human knowledge in general. London: E. and C. Dilly (1773); 3rd edit. 1799
- Reflections on the General Treatment and Cure of Fevers 8vo, 1772.
- The Natural History of the Tea Tree, with Observations on its Medical Qualities, &c., 4to, London, 1772; 2nd edit. 1799. [An expansion of his Leyden dissertation]
- History of the Origin of Medicine, an Oration at the Medical Society, 4to, 1778.
- Hints respecting the Chlorosis of Boarding Schools, 8vo, 1795.
- Observations on the Cow Pock, 1st edit. 4to, 1801 (privately printed); 2nd edit. 8vo, 1801
- Life of John Fothergill,’ in his ‘Works’ (edited by Lettsom, 3 vols. 8vo, 1783); one vol. 4to, 1784. The fourth edition of the ‘Memoirs,’ 8vo, 1786, contains also memoirs of William Cuming, George Cleghorn, Alexander Russell, and Peter Collinson.
- ‘Recollections of Dr. Rush,’ 8vo, London, 1815.
- ‘Hints designed to Promote Beneficence, Temperance, and Medical Science,’ 3 vols. 8vo, 1801.
- twenty-seven papers in the ‘Memoirs,’ 1792–1805, and the ‘Transactions of the Medical Society of London,’ 1810.
- Some Remarks on the Effects of Lignum Quassiæ Amaræ (Memoirs, vol. i.)
- On the Effects of Hard Drinking, 4to, 1791
- memoir of William Hewson (‘Trans. Med. Soc.’ vol. i. pt. i.),
- memoir of James Johnstone (‘Trans. Med. Soc.’ vol. i. pt. ii.)
- memoir of Edward Jenner (oration at Medical Society, 8 March 1804)
- obituary notice of Baron Dimsdale (anonymous, in ‘European Magazine,’ August 1802)