Author:Richard Owen (1804-1892)
For authors with similar names, see Author:Richard Owen.
|←Author Index: Ow||Richard Owen
|Biologist, comparative anatomist, palaeontologist|
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "R. O."
- Memoir on the Pearly Nautilus (1832) (external scan)
- The zoology of Captain Beechey's voyage. with others. 1839 (external scan)
- Description of the skeleton of an extinct gigantic Sloth, Mylodon robustus, Owen, with observations on Megatherioid quadrupeds in general, 1842 (external scan)
- Lectures on the comparative anatomy and physiology of the invertebrate animals, 1843 (external scan)
- Odontography (1840–1845) vol 1, vol 2
- Report on the state of Lancaster, 1845 (external scan)
- On the Archetype and Homologies of the Vertebrate Skeleton (1847) (external scan)
- History of British Fossil Reptiles 1846, (external scan)
- On the Nature of Limbs (1849) (external scan)
- On parthenogenesis, 1849 (external scan)
- On metamorphosis and metagenesis, 1851 (external scan)
- A monograph on the fossil Reptilia of the Cretaceous formations, 1851 (external scan)
- On the raw materials from the animal kingdom, displayed in the Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations, 1852 (external scan)
- Monograph on the fossil Reptilia of the Wealden and Purbeck formations, 1853 (external scan)
- The principal forms of the skeleton and of the teeth, 1854 (external scan)
- Key to the geology of the globe, 1857 (external scan)
- On the classification and geographical distribution of the Mammalia, 1859 (external scan)
- Palæontology or a Systematic Summary of Extinct Animals and Their Geological Relations (1860) 2nd Ed
- On the fossil mammals of Australia, 1859. Part 1-3, Part 6-7, other parts
- On the extent and aims of a national museum of natural history, 1862 (external scan)
- Memoir on the gorilla (Troglodytes Gorilla, savage). 1865 (external scan)
- Archaeopteryx (1863)
- Anatomy of Vertebrates (1866)
- Monograph of the Fossil Mammalia of the Mesozoic Formations (1871) (external scan)
- Anatomy of the king crab (Limulus polyphemus, Latr.), 1873 (external scan)
- Catalogue of the Fossil Reptilia of South Africa (1876)
- Antiquity of Man as deduced from the Discovery of a Human Skeleton during Excavations of the Docks at Tilbury (1884)
- "On Argillornis longipennis, Ow., a large Bird of flight, from the Eocene Clay of Sheppey" in the Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London volume 34. (1878)
- Lectures on the comparative anatomy and physiology of the invertebrate animals
- "Oken, Lorenz," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
Works about OwenEdit
- "Professor Owen" in Cartoon portraits and biographical sketches of men of the day, by anonymous, illustrated by Frederick Waddy, London: Tinsley Brothers, 1873.
- "Owen, (Sir) Richard," in Alumni Oxonienses: the Members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886, by Joseph Foster, London: Parker and Co. (1888–1892) in 4 vols.
- "Owen, Richard (1804-1892)," in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- "Owen, Sir Richard," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Sketch of Professor Richard Owen, F.R.S." in Popular Science Monthly, 23 (May 1883)
- "Obituary: Richard Owen" in Popular Science Monthly, 42 (February 1893)
- Owen, in the 1912 Biographies of Scientific Men