Author:William Hickling Prescott
|←Author Index: Pr||William Hickling Prescott
|American historian and hispanist who is widely recognized by historiographers to have been the first American scientific historian. Prescott became one of the most eminent historians of the 19th century|
- History of the Reign of Ferdinand and Isabella the Catholic
- 1st edition (1837), in 4 vols.
- 10th edition (1846), in 3 vols.
- History of the Conquest of Mexico (1843), in 3 vols.
- Biographical and Critical Miscellanies (1845)
- History of the Conquest of Peru (1847), in 2 vols.
- History of the Reign of Philip the Second, King of Spain (1856–1858), in 4 vols.
- Memoir of the Honorable Abbott Lawrence (1856)
- The History of the Reign of the Emperor Charles the Fifth (1864)
Works about PrescottEdit
- Life of William Hickling Prescott (1864), by George Ticknor (external scan)
- "Prescott, William Hickling," in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature, by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons (1910)
- "Prescott, William Hickling," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Prescott, William Hickling," in The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co. (1914)