The Order for Compline, or, Prayers before Bed-Time
This work was published in 1847 and is anonymous or pseudonymous due to unknown authorship. It is in the public domain in the United States as well as countries and areas where the copyright terms of anonymous or pseudonymous works are 175 years or less since publication.
Public domainPublic domainfalse
PRINTED BY JOSEPH MASTERS,
Order for Compline,
PRAYERS BEFORE BED-TIME.
All standing up, the Priest shall say,
|Blessed be the name of the LORD.|
|Answer.||From this time forth for evermore.|
|Priest.||Almighty GOD grant us a quiet night and a perfect end.|
I S. Peter, v. 8.
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: whom resist, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren which are in the world.
|Answer.||But Thou, O LORD, have mercy upon us.|
|Priest.||Our help is in the Name of the LORD;|
|Answer.||Who hath made heaven and earth.|
|Priest.||Let us pray.|
Then, all kneeling,
|Have mercy upon us, O GOD, after Thy great goodness;|
|Answer.||According to the multitude of Thy mercies do away our transgressions.|
|Priest.||Turn us again, O GOD of Hosts;|
|Answer.||And let Thine anger cease from us.|
|Priest.||O GOD, make speed to save us;|
|Answer.||O LORD, make haste to help us.|
And, all standing up,
|Priest.||Glory be to the Father, and to the Son; and to the Holy Ghost.|
|Answer.||As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be: world without end. Amen.|
Then shall be said these Psalms.
PSALM IV. Cum invocarem.
1. Hear me when I call, O GOD of my righteousness; Thou hast set me at liberty when I was in trouble: have mercy on me, and hearken unto my prayer.
2. O ye sons of men, how long will ye blaspheme mine honour: and have such pleasure in vanity, and seek after leasing?
3. Know this also, that the LORD hath chosen to Himself the man that is godly: when I call upon the LORD, He will hear me.
4. Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart, and in your chamber, and be still.
5. Offer the sacrifice of righteousness: and put your trust in the LORD.
6. There be many that say: Who will shew us any good?
7. LORD, lift Thou up: the light of Thy countenance upon us.
8. Thou hast put gladness in my heart: since the time that their corn, and wine, and oil, increased.
9. I will lay me down in peace, and take my rest: for it is Thou, LORD, only, That makest me dwell in safety.
PSALM XCI. Qui habitat.
1. Whoso dwelleth under the defence of the Most High: shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say unto the LORD, Thou art my hope, and my strong hold: my GOD, in Him will I trust.
3. For He shall deliver thee from the snare of the hunter: and from the noisome pestilence.
4. He shall defend thee under His wings, and thou shalt be safe under His feathers: His faithfulness and truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5. Thou shalt not be afraid for any terror by night: nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6. For the pestilence that walketh in darkness: nor for the sickness that destroyeth in the noonday.
7. A thousand shall fall beside thee, and ten thousand at thy right hand: but it shall not come nigh thee.
8. Yea, with thine eyes shalt thou behold: and see the reward of the ungodly.
9. For Thou, LORD, art my hope: Thou hast set Thine house of defence very high.
10. There shall no evil happen unto thee: neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11. For He shall give His angels charge over thee: to keep thee in all thy ways.
12. They shall bear thee in their hands: that thou hurt not thy foot against a stone.
13. Thou shalt go upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou tread under thy feet.
14. Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him up, because he hath known My Name.
15. He shall call upon Me, mid I will hear him: yea, I am with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and bring him to honour.
16. With long life will I satisfy him: and show him my salvation.
PSALM CXXXIV. Ecce nunc.
1. Behold, O now, praise the LORD: all ye servants of the LORD;
2. Ye that by nght stand in the house of the LORD; even in the courts of the house of our GOD.
3. Lift up your hands in the sanctuary: and praise the LORD.
4. The LORD That made heaven and earth: give thee blessing out of Sion.
Te lucis ante terminum.
Before the ending of the day,
Creator of the world, we pray
That with Thy wonted favour, Thou
Would'st be our guard and keeper now.
From all ill dreams defend our eyes;
From nightly terror and surprise:
Tread under foot our ghostly foe,
That no pollution we may know.
Father, let that we ask be done,
Through Jesus Christ Thine Only Son;
Who with the Holy Ghost and Thee,
Shall live and reign eternally.
|Priest.||The LORD be with you.|
|Answer.||And with thy spirit.|
|Priest.||Let us pray.|
|Vouchsafe, O LORD,|
|Answer.||To keep us this night without sin.|
|Priest.||Keep us as the apple of Thine eye.|
|Answer.||Hide us under the shadow of Thy wings.|
|Priest.||Into Thine hands we commend our spirits:|
|Answer.||For Thou hast redeemed us, O LORD, Thou GOD of Truth.|
Priest. Visit, O LORD, we beseech Thee, this habitation; repel from it all assaults of the enemy; let Thy holy Angels dwell therein, and keep us in peace; and Thy blessing be upon us evermore, through Jesus Christ our LORD; Who, with Thee and the Holy Ghost, liveth and reigneth, One God, world without end. Amen.
We beseech Thee, O LORD, pour Thy grace in our hearts; that as we have known the Incarnation of Thy Son Jesus Christ, by the message of an Angel, so by His Cross and Passion, we may be brought to the glory of His Resurrection, through the same Christ our LORD. Amen.
GOD, Which art the giver of pardon, and the lover of men, grant to us, and to all Thy servants, both living and departed, a merciful judgment in the last day; that we, in the face of all creatures, may then, be acknowledged as Thy true children, through Jesus Christ our LORD. Amen.
|Priest.||The Grace of God remain with us evermore.|
|Answer.||And with our brethren that are absent. Amen.|
Our Father, Which art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil: For Thine is the kingdom, The power and the glory, For ever and ever. Amen.
I believe in GOD the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ His only Son our LORD, Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, Born of the Virgin Mary, Suffered under Pontius Pilate, Was crucified, dead, and buried, He descended into hell; The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven, And sitteth on the right hand of GOD the Father Almighty; From thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Ghost; The holy Catholic Church; The Communion of Saints; The forgiveness of sins; The Resurrection of the body; And the Life Everlasting. Amen.
J. MASTERS, PRINTER, ALDERSGATE STREET.