Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Cava and Sarno
Cava and Sarno, Diocese of (Cavensis et Sarnensis). Cava dei Tirreni is a city picturesquely situated in the province of Salerno, in Southern Italy. It was built by the inhabitants of Marina, after the destruction of that city by the Vandals (c. 455). In 980 St. Alferio Pappacarbona, monk of Cluny, withdrew to a deep cleft in Monte Finestre which dominates the city, and became the founder of one of the most celebrated of Italian monasteries. Its abbots received many privileges from the popes, especially from Urban II, who visited the monastery, and from Boniface IX, who in 1394 attached the episcopal dignity to the abbot's office. The cathedral of Cava, famous for its organ, has been since 1513 the principal church of the city. The library of the monastery is very rich in ancient parchments, mostly private in character, written in Greek, Latin, Italian, and Arabic. It has also a beautiful gallery of paintings. Since 1860 the monastery has been one of the "national monuments"; some monks remain as its custodians. There are in Cava a college, gymnasium, and lyceum, in charge of Benedictines. In 1818 the Diocese of Sarno was united to that of Cava. Sarno is a city in the province of Salerno, situated on the river of the same name. It was made an episcopal see in 1066, the first bishop being Riso. Cardinal Sfondrato, Archbishop of Amalfi, was at one time Bishop of Sarno. The united dioceses are immediately subject to the Holy See. They contain a population of 58,200, with 27 parishes, 5 religious houses of men and 7 of women.