Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Eperies
Eperies, Diocese of (Eperiensis Ruthenorum), of the Greek Ruthenian Rite, suffragan to Gran. Detached in 1818 from the Diocese of Munkàcs, this diocese has had the following bishops: Gregory Tarkovics (1818-41); Joseph Garganecs (1843-75); Nicholas Toth (1876-81); John Vàlyi (1882). The city of Eperies, called by the Slovaks Pressova, was founded by a German colony in the twelfth century on the Tarcza, a tributary of the Danube, and is now the capital of the county of Sàros, Hungary, with a population of 11,000. It is famous for its sugar factories, its mineral waters, and the rock salt mine situated at Sovar, several miles distant. The diocese contains 160,000 Ruthenian Catholics; 212 priests (nearly all married); 190 parishes scattered over the territory of six counties; 190 churches, 25 chapels, 24 parochial schools, with 28,000 pupils, a college for boys, 2 convents of Basilians, and a theological seminary with 40 students. The episcopal residence, the seminary, and most of the diocesan institutions are situated at Eperies.