Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Modigliana
DIOCESE OF MODIGLIANA (MUTILIANENSIS)
Located in the Province of Florence, in Tuscany. The city is situated on the banks of the Tramazzo, and is the Castrum Mutilum of Livy. In the ninth century it was owned by the counts of Ravenna; later it was ruled by the Guidi until 1377, when it owed allegiance to the Florentines. The academy of the Incamminati flourished there in the sixteenth century. The episcopal see dates only from 1850 and was at first suffragan of Faenza. The cathedral, originally a collegiate church, was rebuilt in the sixteenth century and was dedicated by Julius II. The first bishop was Mario Melini. The diocese is now suffragan of Florence; has 84 parishes, 46,200 parishioners; two religious houses of men, and seven of women; one school for boys, and three for girls.
CAPPELLETTI, Le Chiese d'Italia, XVII (Venice, 1857).