Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Augusta (Georgia)
AUGUSTA, city, and county-seat of Richmond co., Ga.; on the Savannah river, and numerous railroads; 120 miles N. W. of Savannah. The site is about 700 feet above sea-level, and the city has an even temperature and a dry, invigorating atmosphere. The city is laid out with broad streets which intersect at right angles, and many of them are beautifully shaded with trees. The city hall is in a park which also contains a granite monument in memory of the Georgia signers of the Declaration of Independence, and an imposing monument to the Confederate dead of the State has been erected on Broad street, the principal thoroughfare of the city. The city has several parks, and a United States arsenal, and in the suburbs are Summerville, a noted health resort, the principal cemetery, and attractive fair grounds. Augusta has a large trade in cotton, lumber, fruit and vegetables, but its main importance is in its manufacturing enterprises. The principal industrial plants are cotton mills. The city is the seat of the Medical College of Georgia, and has an orphan asylum, public hospitals, the Louise King Home, a juvenile reformatory, several National and State banks, and several daily and weekly periodicals. Pop. (1910) 41,040; (1920) 52,548.