Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Columbus (Miss.)
COLUMBUS, a city, and county-seat of Lowndes co., Miss.; on the Mobile and Ohio and Southern railroads and the Tombigbee river; 150 miles S. E. of Memphis and the same distance N. E. of Jackson. It is the farming trade center of the country; it is the seat of the State Industrial Institute and College, Franklin Academy, and the State bank, Court House, several weekly and semi-weekly newspapers. Pop. (1910) 8,988; (1920) 10,501.