Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Newark (Ohio)
NEWARK, a city and county-seat of Licking co., O.; at the junction of three branches of the Licking river, on the Ohio canal, and on the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis, the Baltimore and Ohio and electric railroads; 33 miles N. E. of Columbus. In the vicinity are petroleum refineries, coal mines, and sandstone quarries. The city contains railroad car shops, machine, stove, boiler, and other industrial plants, and glassworks. Pop. (1910) 25,404; (1920) 26,718.