Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Baily, John Walker
BAILY, JOHN WALKER (1809–1873), archaeologist, brother of Charles Baily [q. v.], was born 9 Jan. 1809, and died 4 March 1873. He was head of the firm of William Baily & Sons, and master of the Ironmongers' Company in 1862–3. He is chiefly known to archaeologists as having formed an important collection of Romano-British and mediæval remains unearthed by excavations in the City of London during the years 1862–72. This collection was purchased in 1881 by the Corporation of London for their museum of City antiquities. In the same year his collection of arms and armour, formed 1835–45, became the property of the Baron de Cosson, of Chertsey.
[Information from Mr. W. Baily; Journal of British Archæological Association, xxx. 349–51; Nicholl's Hist, of the Ironmongers' Company, pp. 417 n., 507.]