Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Francis, John (1780-1861)
FRANCIS, JOHN (1780–1861), sculptor, was born in Lincolnshire 3 Sept. 1780, and brought up to farming, but showing some talent for the arts, he was advised by a few friends to settle in London, where he became a pupil of Chantrey. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1820 a bust of T. W. Coke, esq., and another of Captain Sir W. Bolton, R.N. At this period his residence was at Thornham, Norfolk. In 1822, when he sent to the same institution a bust of Miss Horatia Nelson, he was living at 2 New Norfolk Street, Park Lane. In 1844 he executed by command of her majesty in marble a bust of his Royal Highness Prince Albert, and a few years earlier a bust of Queen Victoria, now in the hall of the Reform Club. About this period Francis removed to 56 Albany Street, Regent's Park. Among his other works may be mentioned the following: Busts of the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk (1844); bust in bronze of the Duke of Sussex (1847); marble bust of Lord John Russell, now in the National Portrait Gallery (1848); a bronze medal of Eos, a favourite greyhound of Prince Albert (1848); marble bust of the Hon. Edward Petre (1848); four busts, in marble, of various members of the Eaton family (1851); posthumous bust of the Earl of Carlisle (1852); bust of the Duke of Wellington, now in the National Portrait Gallery (1852); posthumous bust of the Hon. and Rev. James Norton (1854); bust of Vice-admiral Sir Charles Napier (1855); cabinet bust of the Right Hon. Earl of Aberdeen (1856). Francis died in Albany Street, 30 Aug. 1861.
[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists.]