Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Andover (2.)
ANDOVER, a post township of Essex county, Massa chusetts, U.S., pleasantly situated on the southern -bank of the Merrimack river, 21 miles north of Boston. Its first settlers came from Andover in England in 1643, and purchased a part of the Indian domain known as Cochiche wick from the natives for $26.64 and a cloth coat. The streams in the vicinity afford water power, which is employed to some extent in manufactures of flannels, linen, and shoe thread ; Lut the town is chiefly known by its academic institutions. The Puuchard High School has a high local reputation. Phillips Academy is one of the most popular schools in New England. It was endowed by the Phillips family in 1778 with $85,000 (17,000) and considerable landed estates, and has always been well sustained. It has a principal and eight instructors, and the number of pupils in 1873 was 252. The Andover Theological Seminary was founded in 1807, under the auspices of the Congregationalists, but is open to Protestants of all denominations. It has five professors and generally more than 100 students. Tuition and room rent are free to all, and additional aid is given to indigent students. The Abbot Female Academy, for the education of female teachers (founded in 1829), is also a flourishing institution. Andover has a bank, four churches, and two hotels. Its populationiii 1870 was 4873.