Open main menu

ANN ARBOR, a town of the United States, the capital of Washtenaw county, Michigan, situated upon the Huron, about 40 miles west of Detroit, with which it is connected by the Michigan Central Railway. The town, which is healthy and well built, is a place of considerable commercial importance, its chief manufactures being iron, wool, and flour, while the trade in the produce of the surrounding district is large and valuable. It is the seat of the university of Michigan, a liberally-endowed institution, founded in 1837, and at present containing three subsidiary colleges devoted to legal, medical, and literary studies respectively, with a total attendance, in 1870, of 1072 students. The college buildings are large and pleasantly situated, and the university possesses a library, an observatory, and a chemical laboratory. The population of Ann Arbor in 1870 was 7363.