Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Clitheroe
Pendle Hills, about 28 miles by railway north of Manchester. It has several suburbs, known as Waterloo, Salford, and Bawdlands, and at the side of the river is the little village of Low Moor. Its principal buildings are the parish church of St Michael s, a grammar school founded in 1554, the moothnll, and the county court erected in 1864 ; and its industrial establishments comprise cotton- mills, extensive print-works, paper-mills, foundries, snd brick and lime works. The cotton manufacture alone employed upwards of 2000 people -in 1871. Clitheroe was a borough by prescription as early as the llth century, and in 1138 it is mentioned as the scene of a battle be tween the Scotch and English. Its castle, probably built not long after, was a fortress of the Lacy family, and continued a defensible position till 1649, when it was dis mantled by the Parliamentary forces. The Honor of Cli theroe, for a long time a part of the duchy of Lancaster, and bestowed by Charles II. on General Monk, is now in the pos session of the Buccleuch family. Population of the municipal borough in 1871, 8208 ; of the parliamentary, 11,786.