Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Concord (1.)
CONCORD, a city of the United States of America, capital of New Hampshire, is situated near the centre of the State, on the Merrimack River, 42 miles N.W. of Portsmouth and 75 miles N.N.W. of Boston by railroad. It is pleasantly laid out, for the most part on the west side of the river; and its principal streets are lined with trees. The State-house, which is a handsome edifice built of granite, occupies an open space ornamented with elms and maple trees. The town contains also a city hall and three public libraries; while in the neighbourhood there is the State asylum for the insane, with a farm attached for the employment of the inmates. Concord is well supplied with water, and, having both railroad and canal communication, is advantageously situated for the development of its manufactures. These consist chiefly of carriages, dry goods, leather goods, and furniture. Granite of a superior quality is also quarried in the neighbourhood; and a large trade is carried on in dressed and undressed blocks. The site of the town was first occupied by settlers in 1725; it was known as Rumford until 1765, when it received its present name. It was incorporated as a city in 1853, and is now the seat of the courts formerly held in Portsmouth. Population in 1870, 12,241.