Open main menu


COVINGTON, a city of the United States, in Kenton County, Kentucky, on the Ohio, at its confluence with the Licking, and directly opposite Cincinnati (see plan, p. 783 of vol. v.). Its principal buildings are the city hall, the United States court house, the high school, the Oddfellows' hall, the hospital of St Elizabeth, the Benedictine priory of St Joseph's, and the Benedictine nunnery of St Walburga; and its industrial establishments comprise numerous tobacco and cigar factories, and several iron-mills, distilleries, glass-works, stove factories, &c. Covington, as well as the contiguous town of Newport, is practically a suburb of Cincinnati, with which they have communication by a bridge and steam ferries. Since 1871 it has been supplied with water by water works on the Holly system. Covington was founded in 1812, and received incorporation as a city in 1834 In 1840 its population was 2026; in 1860, 16,471; and in 1870, 24,505. A considerable proportion of the inhabitants are Roman Catholics. There is a German orphan asylum about 4 miles from the city under Catholic management