Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Jackson (Mississippi)
JACKSON, capital of the State of Mississippi, U.S., and chief city of Hinds county, is pleasantly situated on the right bank of the Pearl river, about 180 miles north of New Orleans, with which it is connected by rail. The city is fairly well built; the chief buildings are the State capitol, the State penitentiary, and the institutions for the blind and for the deaf and dumb. One mile distant is the lunatic asylum. There are several good schools, and a State library of 15,000 volumes. The chief trade is in cotton, the average export being about 30,000 bales a year. Foundries and a factory for sashes and doors are among the manufactories of the place. Population in 1870, 4234; in 1880, 5205.