[W R Lewis]
W. R. LEWIS was born in Muskingham County, Ohio, October 12, 1835. In April, 1857, he removed to Poweshiek County, Iowa, which has since been his home. He worked at carpentering and taught school until 1861, and during hours not otherwise employed studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1866. Mr. Lewis held a number of positions in his home county and in 1880 was elected judge of the Circuit Court. This position he held six years until that court was abolished. He was then elected judge of the District Court, retiring from the bench in 1890, and resuming the practice of law. In 1897 he was elected to the State Senate, serving in the Twenty-seventh and Twenty-eighth General Assemblies.