He rendered the drama of his country a special service by successfully producing new plays at a time when the American playwright was almost without recognition. He frequently supported Edwin Booth, who was a close personal friend, playing always with admirable intelligence and distinction. Among his many and varied parts may be mentioned Hamlet, Lear, Macbeth, Shy lock, Richard III., Wolsey, Benedick, Richelieu, David Garrick, Hernani, Alfred Evelyn, Lanciotto ; and his performance of Richelieu was one which attracted considerable attention when he appeared in London. He wrote a life of Edwin Forrest in the American Actors Series (Boston, 1881), and an admirable sketch of Edwin Booth in Edwin Booth and His Contemporaries (Boston, 1886). He died 20th March 1891. Barrhead, a police burgh of Renfrewshire, ScotBarrafranca, a town of Sicily, in the Italian land, 8f miles S.W. of Glasgow by rail. Iron and brass province of Caltanissetta, 11 miles S.E. from Caltanissetta. works, calico-printing,' cotton-spinning, and the manufacIt has sulphur mines, olive-oil mills, and sulphur springs. ture of sanitary appliances are all now important. A Population (1881), 9052; (1891), about 10,000. drainage scheme has been inaugurated. Population BarranO) U i I la, the capital of a province of the same (1891), 8215; (1901), 9855. name in the department of Bolivar, Colombia, South Barrie, the capital of Simcoe county, Ontario, America, and the great commercial centre of the republic, Canada, 53 miles X. of Toronto, on Lake Simcoe. It is situated on a slightly sloping plain on the left bank of an important railway centre on the Grand Trunk Railway, the Magdalena river, about 7 miles from its mouth, and and has steamboat communication with various points on about 85 miles N.E. of Cartagena. The river below the Lakes Simcoe and Conchiching. It contains railway shops, town being dangerous for large steamers, it is connected agricultural implement works, and saw and grist mills. with the ocean by a railway running to Puerto Colombo Population (1881), 4804; (1899), 5980. (Sabanilla), where there is a steel pier 4000 feet in length, Barrow-in-Furness, a civil parish, municipal, permitting the approach of vessels drawing 26 feet of county (1888), and parliamentary borough (1885), seaport Avater, and affording accommodation for five large ocean and market town of Lancashire, England, including the steamers. Situated at the initial point of the navigation isle of Walney; 87 miles N.X.W. of Manchester by rail. of the Magdalena river, on which there is an excellent The corporation consists of a mayor, 8 aldermen, and 24 service of steamboats to Honda 592lr miles distant, councillors. The cemetery, with three mortuary chapels, Barranquilla now more than rivals Cartagena as a com- covers 55 acres. The educational institutions include a mercial centre. Originally founded in 1629, it is only school of science and art, a girls’ high school, a higherwithin recent years that it has risen into importance. grade board school, and a technical school (1901). The It is regularly laid out, and the better-class houses are principal building is the new town hall, which is fronted surrounded by beautiful gardens, while the business por- by a statue of Lord Frederick Cavendish (assassinated in tion contains many fine warehouses. A few of the houses Dublin, 1882). The main reservoirs of the water supply, are constructed of wood, those of the better classes being 90 acres in area, will hold 578,000,000 gallons. The built of brick with tile roofs, and those of the poorer Bessemer steel works now have only 9 blast furnaces in classes of clay supported by a framework of split guadua use, but the works of one firm of shipbuilders cover 82 cane, the roofs being thatched with rushes. There acres, and the slipways allow of the building of 14 vessels are three Homan Catholic churches and a Protestant at a time. There have come into importance a petroleum mission, the other principal public buildings being the establishment holding over 22,500 tons of oil, and a papermarket, the hospital, and the theatre. The city is supplied pulp factory employing about 450 hands. Sailing vessels with water from the Magdalena river, and possesses a at port in 1888 were 88 of 10,599 tons; steam vessels, 51 telephone system, and a street railway with cars drawn by of 53,487 tons: in 1899—sailing vessels, 227 of 31,255 mules. There are large tanneries, shoe factories, hat tons net reg.; steam vessels, 1162 of 444,957 tons net factories, tin shops, soap and candle works, brick and tile reg. Vessels entering port in 1888 were 2283 of 460,5/9 works, match works, furniture works and rum distilleries. tons; clearances, 2296 of 452,202 tons; in 1899 —The population now approaches 50,000. (t. f. h.) entrances, 1389 of 476,212 tons net reg.; clearances, 1377 Barre, a city of Washington county, Vermont, U.S. A., of 455,408 tons net reg. The imports of foreign and north of the centre of the state, a few miles south of colonial produce for 1899 amounted to the value of Montpelier, the state capital, on branches of the Central ,£721,519 against £396,240 in 1888. Population of the Vermont and of the Montpelier and Wells Kiver Kail ways. civil parish, the municipal and county borough, and the Formerly a village in Barre town, it has been separated parliamentary borough, which are all three co-extensive, from the latter and given a city charter. Population covering an area of 21,009 acres (including 11,000 acres of sand and water) (1881), 47,259; (1891), 51,712; (1901), (1890), 4146; (1900), 8448. 57,589. Barrett, Lawrence (1831-1891), American Barry, a town and seaport of England, on the Bristol actor, was born of Irish parents in Paterson, N.J., 4th April 1838. Beginning as a call-boy, he advanced steadily Channel, opposite Barry Island, 8 miles S.W. of Cardift, in his profession, gradually coming into prominence in in the southern parliamentary division of Glamorganshire. leading parts. At the age of twenty he was acting with In 1894 the parishes of Barry, Cadoxton, Merthyr Dovan, Charlotte Cushman and Edwin Booth. He served with and part of St Andrews and of Sully, were constituted distinction in the civil war as captain in a Massachusetts the urban sanitary district of Barry and Cadoxton. A regiment. From 1867 to 1870 he managed the California village of no significance till 1888, Barry is now, in contheatre, San Francisco, together with John M‘Cullough. junction with Cadoxton, owing mainly to the docks, a
consist of punkahs pulled in series, or of tatties or fibre hurdles in the doorways kept continually wet, or of therm-antidotes by which air is artificially forced through wet fibre into the rooms. Where electric or other mechanical power is not available for working these appliances, a special staff is hired for this purpose. Except at very large stations where gas is specially made, the lighting of barracks is almost universally by oil lamps, the standard pattern lamp being considered sufficient to light 200 square feet of floor, and each British soldier in barracks being allowed 45 square feet of such illuminated area. For other military buildings lighted by Government the number of lamps is regulated by a fixed scale. Barracks for native troops are not lighted by Government. (e. H. H.) Authorities. — The Army Book for the British Empire. London, 1893.—F. Richter. “Gebiinde fur Militiir. Zwecke” (in Handbuch der Architektur). Darmst., 1887.—Brockhaus. Konversation's Lexicon, 14th ed. 1895.—Meyer’s Konversation’s Lexicon, 5th ed. 1898.