Page:1902 Encyclopædia Britannica - Volume 26 - AUS-CHI.pdf/187

This page needs to be proofread.


BARRY—BARTHfiLEMY 159 populous and important town. Besides the churches of district, 3323 acres. Population (1891), 13,278; (1901), bt Nicholas (1876) and St Paul (1893) there are numerous 27,028.. Barry docks, the first of which was opened in dissenting places of worship. There are also three board 1889, lie about 8 miles S.W. of Cardiff, and 4 miles S.W. schools, a county school, a seamen’s institute, a free library, of Penarth. The following are the dimensions of the and a market, and two weekly newspapers. Area of urban docks :— Docks, &c. Dock No. 1 . Dock No. 2 (in construction) . Basin ..... Deep Lock Entrance

Area.

Length.

Width.

Acres. 73 40 7

Feet. 3100 3300 600 647

Feet. 1100 400 500 65 at bottom') 100' 0" [ at top I 113' 6" J at bottom) 100'0" ( at top , P I 113' 6" J 400

Barry Railway Co.’s Commercial Graving Dock

743

Barry Graving Dock Co. ’s Graving Dock

732

Timber-Float (in construction) Entrance Channel from the Breakwater Heads to Deep Lock Gates h

800

Width of Depth of Water Quayage. Entrance on Sill. Gates. Feet. Feet. H.W.O.S.1 H.W.O.N.T 10,500 80 37' 8" 29' 4" 7000 80 37' 8" 29' 4" 2040 80 37' 8" 29' 4" 65 60

26' 8"

18' 4"

60

24' 8"

16' 4"

2000

1500

Barry Railway Company’s graving dock can be divided into outer and inner docks of 384 and 359 feet respectively: depth on outer sill H.W.O.S.T. 26' 8" • H.W.O.N.T., 18' 4". Barry Graving Dock Company’s graving dock can be divided into outer and inner docks of 354 feet each : average depth on sill, spring tides, 24' 8" ■ neap tides, 16 4 . No. 1 Dock and Basin are provided with 11 high- and 10 low-level fixed, 2 high- and 3 lowlevel movable, coal staiths; and 31 cranes, including 20 movable and 4 fixed hydraulic ballast cranes and one 50-ton crane. The total tonnage increased from 567,958 for halfyear ending 1889, to 1,290,665 for half-year ending 1895. When the dock was opened in 1889 all the railway service was between Barry and Cogan. Now there is a throughservice between Barry, Cardiff, and the Bute docks, between Barry and Perth in the Rhondda valley; and between Cardiff, Barry, and Bridgend. There are altogether about 29| miles of railways of the Barry Railway Company connecting the dock with the various collieries and with the Taff Yale Company’s lines at Penarth Dock. When completed, the Bute, Penarth, and Barry docks, all comprised within the Port of Cardiff, will have 14 miles of quayage, and about 200 miles of sidings.

president of the Melbourne public library, national gallery and museum, and was one of the first to foster the volunteer movement in Australia. To his exertions is due the prosperity of the two institutions with which his memory is identified. The university was founded in 1854, and was thrown open to women in 1880. It has three affiliated colleges, Trinity (Anglican), Ormond (1 resbyterian), Queen’s (Wesleyan), and a conservatorium of music. The total number of graduates is 2066, about half being in arts, and the remainder in medicine, law, and science. The total number of persons attending lectures in 1898 was 668, and 147 took degrees. The teaching staff numbers 35, and about 1100 persons present themselves for matriculation every year, of whom about 500. pass, but a large proportion do not pursue their studies any farther. The total income of the university in 1898 was ,£30,110, of which £9000 was contributed by the Government. The Melbourne public library was 1^53, is free to every one, contains 480,000 volumes including pamphlets and periodicals, ranks as the tenth library in the British dominions, and is visited by about half a million of people every year. The national gallery of Victoria contained, in 1898, 434 oil Barry, Sir Redmond (1813-1880), British paintings, 3451 statues and works of art. The total sum colonial judge, son of Maj.-Gen. H. G. Barry, of Ballyclough, expended by the trustees has been £600,000. (g. c. l.) county Cork, was born in 1813. He was educated at a 'Barsi, a town of British India, in the Sholapur dismilitary school in Kent, and at Trinity College, Dublin, trict of Bombay, lying within a tract entirely surrounded where he graduated B.A. in 1833, and was called to the Irish by the Nizam’s dominions. It is situated in 18° 13' N. bar in 1838. He emigrated to Australia, and after a short | lat. and 75° 44' E. long. Population about 20,000. stay at Sydney went to Melbourne, with which city he was Barsi is a flourishing centre of trade, exporting to Bombay ever afterwards closely identified. After practising his large quantities of cotton and oilseeds. It has eight profession for some years, he became commissioner of the factories for ginning and pressing cotton—some on a large court of requests, and after the creation in 1851 of the scale. It is connected with the main line of the Great colony of Victoria, out of the Port Phillip district of New Indian Peninsula Railway by a light railway of 22 miles, South Wales, was the first solicitor-general with a seat the property of a company, which will be extended 32 m the legislative and executive councils. Subsequently miles in another direction to Pandharpur. he held the offices of judge of the supreme court, acting a seaport town of Prussia, province Pomerania, chief-justice, and administrator of the Government. He represented Victoria at the London International Exhibi- on a coast lagoon, 19 miles by rail W. by N. from Straltion of 1862, and at the Philadelphia Exhibition of 1876. sund. It has a mercantile fleet and a school of navigation, He was knighted in 1860 and was created K.C.M.G. in and carries on shipbuilding, sugar manufacture, the export 1877. Sir Redmond Barry was the first person in Victoria of herrings, (fee. Population (1895), 6223. to take an interest in higher education, and induced the Barthelemy Saint-Hilaire, Jules (1805local government to expend large sums of money upon 1895), French scholar and statesman, was born at Paris that object. He was the founder of the University of 19th August 1805. In his early days he was connected Melbourne, of which he was the first chancellor, was with the National newspaper, and in its office he formed