Page:1902 Encyclopædia Britannica - Volume 26 - AUS-CHI.pdf/563

This page needs to be proofread.


CAMBORNE1860 at Udong, and the same year made Pnom-penh his capital. He has 14 sons and 22 daughters. The second king, obbarach, Prince Somdach Prea Maha, has 13 sons and 9 daughters. Since 1884 a French resident has lived near the king. In 1885 an insurrection, due to increased taxation, was utilized by the king’s brother, Si-Yotha, who claimed to have been despoiled of the crown, but was promptly suppressed. In 1891 M. de Lanessan, governor-general, concluded an agreement with King Norodom by which the Cambodian budget was to be combined with the general one of the protectorate. This budget was established from 1st January 1892, and immediately sent up the value by 500,000 piastres in a budget which in the previous period rose only to a total value of 800,000 piastres. The income and expenditure in 1899 practically balanced at 3,146,359 piastres. On the unification of Indo-China, Cambodia was represented on the Superior Council. On 16th August 1899 a Council of the Protectorate was instituted. The Superior Council of Indo-China sat at Pnom-penh in October 1899, the two kings being present. Cambodia is divided into seven districts, subdivided into numerous provinces administered by mandarins subject to the resident-general and viceresidents. Cambodian idiom has nothing in common with that of Annam. It is monosyllabic in character, a blend of Malayan and Chinese. The <£ king’s language ” and the royal writing, however, are apparently of Aryan origin and akin to Pali. Cambodian writing is syllabic. The books (manuscripts) are generally formed of palmleaves upon which the characters are traced by means of a style. I he gambling monopoly was condemned in 1887, and suppressed in consequence of the financial agreement of 1st January 1893. Pnom-penh, the capital, is a town of about 45,000 people, 173 miles from the sea’ on the branch of the Mekong which communicates with Tonle-Sap. It is a commercial centre of great importance. During low water the largest vessels can ascend the Mekong and drop anchor within a mile of the town. During the rest of the year they come alongside the quay below the town, in the arm of the lake. House-building is changing the appearance of the town, which has grown rapidly, new quays and numerous streets having been built. (See also Indo-China.) (j. m. a. ue l.) Camborne, a market town and railway station in the Camborne parliamentary division of Cornwall, England, 14 miles N.W. of Falmouth. Recent erections are a free library and mining, science and art schools; practical mining is now taught in South Condurrow mine. Area of civil parish (an urban district), 6931 acres: population (1881), 13,601 ; (1901), 14,737. Cambrai, chief town of arrondissement, department of Nord, France, 3/ miles S.E. of Lille, and an important junction on railway from Paris to Lille. Great improvements have been effected in the city. The fosses have been filled up and the ramparts in part levelled to make way, as the suburbs extended, for wide avenues stretching out on all sides. A new railway station has been constructed. Chicory is now manufactured very extensively, and one of the sugar factories is said to be the largest in the world. During the busy season 2000 persons are employed, during the rest of the year from 300 to 400. The consumption of beetroot amounts to from 200,000 to 250,000 tons annually. Port traffic on the Mons and Seine canal was 149,422 tons in 1899. Population (1881), 14,818; (1896), 14,306, (comm.) 21,948; (1901), 26,586. Cambridge, a market and university town of England, capital of the county of Cambridge, stands on the nver Cam, a tributary of the Ouse, 56 miles by rail N. by

CAMBRIDGE 513 E. from London. Since the year 1876 several new colleges and hostels have been opened. Cavendish College, which was founded in 1873 for the purpose of affording a cheaper course to students somewhat younger than the average of the older colleges, was declared a public hostel of the university in 1882, but was closed in 1891. The buildings, situated in Hills Road, were acquired by the authorities of Homerton College, Middlesex (founded in 1843), and under the name of Homerton New College equipped as an undenominational training college for schoolmistresses. Selwyn College was incorporated in 1882, and recognized as a public hostel in 1883, though the two blocks of the existing buildings, in Grange Road, were not erected until 1889; the chapel in 1895. The style is Tudor, from designs by Sir A. W. Blomfield. It is intended to afford a^ cheaper course to students belonging to the Church of England. Ayerst Hall, opened as a public hostel on Parker’s Piece in 1884, was removed in 1893 to a new structure, in the Queen Anne style, on Mount Pleasant, and closed in 1896. It is now the Roman Catholic St Edmund s Hostel. Girton College, which was first opened at Hitchin in 1869, was removed to its present site, 2-|miles from Cambridge, on the Huntingdon Road, in 1873. It consists of plain red-brick structures. Additions were made in 1876 and 1883, and subscriptions were collected in 1901 for further enlarging it. Newnham College for women was founded in 1871. The buildings, which were added to in 1887 and 1893, consist of three halls, built from designs by Basil Champneys, and a library, added in 1898. Ridley Hall, at Newnham, was erected in 1879-82 as a training college for evangelical candidates for the ministry of the Church of England. New buildings, including the chapel, were added in 1892. Westminster College, the theological training college of the Presbyterian Church of England, was opened in 1899. The buildings are of brick, in the Jacobean style, and stand on the Madingley Road. The following colleges, situated in parts of England other than Cambridge, have been duly affiliated to the university—University College, Nottingham ; St David’sCollege, Lampeter, Wales; Firth College, Sheffield; University College of Wales, Aberystwith; St Edmund’s College, Old Hall, Ware; as also the Universities of New Zealand (1886), Adelaide (1891), Cape of Good Hope (1892), Allahabad (1895), Bombay (1896), Punjab (1896), Toronto (1896), Madras (1897), Sydney (1898), Montreal (1899), and Tasmania (1900). Besides these, various additions have been made to the older colleges. A new east wing, of red Suffolk brick and Ancaster stone, was added to Jesus College in 1883-84; new buildings were added to Pembroke, from designs by G. G. Scott, Jun., in 1883; new rooms to St John’s m 1887-88; a new hostel to Emmanuel in 1886 and 1894; new buildings (1887) and a chapel (1891) to Queens’; and a third court, from designs by J. L. Pearson, to Sidney Sussexwhile St Catherine’s Chapel was thoroughly restored in 1896. Amongst the new scientific equipments of the university may be mentioned the museum of archmology (1884), divided into two departments—one classical, the other general; it also contains the museum of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society. The new geological museum was erected in 1900-1901, and the Divinity School, a 15th - century Gothic structure, built from Basil Champneys’ designs in 1878-79, out of the Selwyn fund, contains Bishop Lightfoot’s library. A chemical laboratory (1887), new anatomical lecture-rooms, dissecting-rooms, and anatomical museum should also be mentioned. The university library was enlarged in 1889. The Fitzwilliam Museum has been S. II. — 65