Christ, in Japan, I (New York, — ); Chambebs and Mason, Handbook of Japan C8th ed., London. 1907): Okuma, Fi/J!y Years of New Japan (2 vols., 2nd ed., London. 1910).
Nagpur, Diocese op (Nagpurensis), in India, suffragan to Madras. Formerly the north-western portion of the Vicariate Apostolic of Vizagapatam, it was erected into a diocese on 29 July, 1887, and its boundaries finally readjusted on 10 July, 1895. It comprises the greater portion of the Central Provinces, Berar, a portion of the Indore State, a strip of the Nizam's dominions as far south as the Godavery River, etc., the boundaries being in many parts independent of civil divisions. The area is about 124,000 square miles with a Catholic population of 15,000 out of a total 01 about 15,000,000 inhabitants. It is served by 28 priests of the Congregation of the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales, Annecy, and 7 secular clergy, assisted by 7 brothers of the above congregation; 13 Franciscan Brothers from Paderborn in Germany; 4 Sisters of St. Joseph from St. Jeande Maurienne, Sa- voy; 23 Daughters of the Cross; and 28 CatechLst Sisters ot Mary Immaculate. The diocese has 12 churches and 33 chapels. The cathedral, bishop's resilience, and diocesan seminary are at Nagpur.
History. — Although the territories comprised under Nagjiur were included within the Vicariate of the Great Mogul, there is no trace of any missionary ever having set foot there till the beginning of the nineteenth century. Nagpur, Kamptee, Auranga- bad, and Jaulnah were hrst visited by priests of the Goan jurisdiction, from Poona. about 1814. A chapel in honour of St. Anthony existed at Takli, suburb of Nagpur, where the troops of the Rajah of Nagpur were quartered. Another was built in Kamptee, and held in great veneration by native Christians. A Goan priest died at Nagpur in 1834. Simultaneously, Goan priests established themselves at Aurangabad, and built a chapel in honour of St. Francis Xavier in 1810; another chapel was built by them at Kannar, two miles from Aurangabad. Military cantonments for British troops were created at Kamptee in 1821, and at Jaulnah in 1827. The Goan priests retained their jurisdiction in these parts until 1839, when, in conse- quence of the Apostolic Brief " Multa proeclare" of 24 April, 1838, the district fell to the jurisdiction of the Vicar Apostolic of Madras. In January, 1839, priests from Madras took possession of Kamptee and Jaulnah. They were Fathers Breen (died 1844) and Egen at Kamptee, and D. Murphy at Jaulnah. Father Mur- phy, whose registers are preserved in the Ijishop's resi- dence at Nagpur, subseiiuently became Vicar Apos- tolic of Hyderabad and then Archbishop of Hobart Town, Tasmania, where he died in 1908. In 1845 some missionaries of St. Francis de Sales, from Annecy (Savoy, France), were appointed to the charge of the northern portion of the Vicariate of Madras, which was thus separated and made into the Vicariate of Vizagapatam. They took possession of Aurangabad, Jaulnah, and Kamptee in 1846, and visited Nagpur, Ellichpur (1848), Jubbulpur (1850), and Khandwa. Jubbulpur became a military cantonment in 1857. From 1846 to 1870 Nagpur was a sui)-station of Kamptee, and then became a residential station. It developed into the headquarters of the mission when the district was finally separated from Vizagapatam and made into an episcopal see, suffragan to Madras, in 1887.
SUCCES.SION OF Bishops. — Alexis Riccaz, 1887-92; Charles Feli.x Pelvat, 1893-1900; J. M. Crochet, 1901- 03; E. M. Bonaventure, 1905-07; F. E. Coppel, pres- ent bishop from 1907.
Institutions. — Schools for Boys: St. Francis of Sales' College, Nagpur, Calcutta, with 350 pupils, also industrial school, printing press and Catholic young men's institute; St. Francis of Sales' Native School, Nagpur, with 220 pupils; St. Joseph's Day School,
Kamptee, with 130 pupils; St. Aloysius' School, Jub- bulpur, with 120 pupils ; small schools at Amraoti and Aurangabad ; native training school at Ghogargaon with 15 boarders, and 26 other schools in the villages with 215 pupils; thirty schools in Khandwa under 25 catechist teachers with 396 pupils; 17 schools round Ellichpur under 17 catechists with 155 pupils.
_ Schools for Girls. — Under the Sisters of St. Joseph: six schools at Nagpur, Kamptee, Jubbulpur, Khandwa, Harda, Pachraari with 565 pupils, besides two smaller schools. Under the Daughters of the Cross: three schools at Amraoti, Aurangabad, and Badnera with 191 pupils. Under the Catechist Sisters: twoschools in Nagpur with 105 pupils.
Charitable InstitiUio/Ts. — Poorhouse, Nagpur, with 156 inmates; also foundling home with 30 inmates; 14 dispensaries in various places ; boys' orphanages at Nagpur, Kamptee, Thana, Julibulpur, and Amraoti, with 249 inmates, and girls' orphanages at the same places with 229 inmates. St. Vincent de Paul So- ciety at Nagpur; catechumenates at Ghogargaon, Khandwa, and Ellichpur; training schools for cate- chists at Ghogargaon and Ellichpur with 38 students. The mission centres are ( 1 ) Ghogargaon near Auranga- bad, created in 1893, with 55 villages, 23,288 Catholics, and 26 schools; (2) Passan near Bilaspur, opened in 1900 with 80 Catholics; (3) Aulia in Khandwa, opened in 1902, 36 villages with 2100 Catholics and 30 schools; (4) Ellichpur in Berar, opened in 1903, 16 villages wiih 870 Catholics.
Madras Catholic Directory (1909 and previous years); Dioo esan Directory (1907 and 1908); La Mission de Vizagapatam (Annery, 1S90).
Ernest R. Hull.
Nahanes, or "People of the Setting Sun", a tribe of the great Den(5 family of American Indians, whose habitat is east and west of the Rocky Mountains just north of latitude 58° N. Broadly speaking they are divided into two branches, the eastern and the western Nahanes. The latter are themselves sub- divided into the Thalhthans, so called after their general rendezvous at the confluence of the river of the same name with the Stickine, and the Takus, whose territory is the basin of the Taku River, to- gether with the upper portions of the streams which flow northward to the Lewes, as far east as the upper Liard River. The Kaskas live just west, and through the Rocky Mountains, and by speech, physique, and sociology they are eastern Nahanes, while just east of the same range another subdivision of the tribe roams over the mountains of the Mackenzie. The entire tribe cannot now number much more than 1000 souls, viz., 175 Thalhthans, 200 Kaskas, 150 Takus, and 500 eastern Nahanes proper. The latter, as well as the Kaskas, are pure nomads, without any social organization to speak of, following patriarchal lines in their descent and laws of inheritance, while the westernmost Nahanes have adopted tlic matriarchal institutions of their neighbours on the Pacific Coast, the clan.s, with petty chiefs (some of whcmi aic quite influential and are occasionally women), potl.ilches or public distributions of goods or eatables, crcniation of the dead, ceremonial dances, etc. Phj-sically they also resemble the coast Indians, with whom they have intermarried to a great extent, and from the language of whom they hav(^ borrowed not a few words.
From a religious standpoint the Nahanes have fared badly. The secluded position of the western branch and the nomadic habits of the eastern sub- division have conspired to keep them away from re- ligious influences. Moreover contact with the miners of the Cassiar goldfields has considerably demoralized the Nahanes of the Far West and sadlythinned their ranks. 1'he .Anglican Church has for a dozen of years or so maintaineil a mission at Thalhthan, which has met with a limited measure of success. The only visit of a Catholic priest to the same was paid