Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/198

This page needs to be proofread.


CHABITir 182 OBA&ITV

lion, 1 poor law school, 1 house for young working Sisters gave over to the Sisters of Charity the

girls, 1 model nursery, 7 lunatic asylums, 1 sann- direction of the instituta for deaf and dumb boys

torium for tuberculous patients, 1 sanatorium for and girls at Bouge-lez-Namur. In 1921, at the re- little girls having ^mptoms of consumption, 3. quest of Bishop Beylen of Namur, the Sisters took

hospit^s, 11 hospitals for incurables and old mei^ charge of the sanatorium for tuberculous patients

1 hospital for old blind men, 4 refuges for blind at Mont-sur-Meuse.

adults, 3 refuges for deaf and diunb, 13 houses Sistehb of Chabitt of oub Ladt Mothbb of of retreat; in India (Punjab): 1 school for parsees Merct (cf. C. E., III-610b).— According to the and Indian girls, 3 boarding schools and day chan^ made in the constitutions of the com- schools for Europeans, 2 industrial schools for mumty by the new Code of Canon Law the natives, 1 nurseiy, 2 dispensaries for natives; in General Superior, elected for six years, may be re- Ceylon: 3 boarding schools and day schools for elected only once. Previously mother generals, Europeans, 1 nurseiy, 3 English and Singalese re-elected many times, often held their office until schools, 3 industrial schools, 3 industrial schools for death. Local superiors are appointed for a term native girls; in Belgian Congo: 1 school for white of three, instead of six years. Mother General children, 4 schools for native children, 2 hospitab Teresinia Favier had succeeded Mother Leocritia for Europeans, 1 hospital for contagious diseases, 1 in 1009, at the latter's resignation due to failing hospital for inciu'ables, 2 hospitals for sleeping sick- health. She had been Supenor of St. Mary's Con- ness, 2 dispensaries for natives. The congregation vent, Willimantic, Conn. In 1910 she visited the thus had the following pupils under instruction houses in the United States, and appointed Mother (1912): guardian schools, 2,709; primary classes, Alphonsa Superior of the Holy Familv Academy, 6,118; secondary classes, 781; secondary teaching, BeJtic, Conn., as successor to Mother Aloysia 55; normal school, 285; humanities, 16; conmier- Soieht, who had been recalled to Europe in 1909. cial school. 50; domijstic economy schools, 241; Under Mother Alphonsa a new wing was added to Sunday schools, 2,239; abnormal children, 805. the academy buildings. In 1920 Mother Favier again The Sisters take care of 1,502 sick, infirm, and visited the houses in the United States, changing, pid men, 2,632 lunatics, 115 blind adults. 71 deaf according to the new regulations, local superiors and dumb adults, 406 paying guests, 80 tuberculous whose term of three years had expired. In 1921 patients, 42 with symptoms of tuberculosis. Mother Favier resigned, and canonically elected The expropriation of the Asylum of Ghent was as superior general Mother Christine Borsten who an occasion of establishing the Pavilion System, had been assistant to the governing faculty for the "open doors" unknown in Belgium. The Caritas many yiears. In 1916 the former superior general, asylum was inaugurated at Melle near Ghent, 27 Mother Leocritia, died at Tilburg. Previous to October, 1908, by the late Bishop Stillemans, M. her election as mother general, she had been Renkin, Minister of Justice, and about fifty notable superior of three different houses in Holland, personages interested in the organization of the superior of St. Joseph's Convent, Willimantic, new asylum. At present there are 671 patients Conn., for four years, and assistant to the mother and 82 Sisters. At the same time Holland asked general in 1887. The Cardinal Protector of the for an institute like the one at Venray and the Congregation is Cardinal Van Rossum. pavilions were erected on an estate of 125 acres. Three foundations have been made in different The first Sisters were introduced there November, parts of the world since 1908. In 1910 a hospital 1908, and on 11 June, 1911, the official opening was founded in Utrecht, Holland, and a second took place. The Diocese of Galle, Ceylon, was house of the congregation was opened in Para- endowed with two new missions in 1908, at Matara, maribo. Dutch Guiana, South America, for the and in 1909. at Kegalle. There the Sisters have a twofold purpose of nursins the sick and teaching boarding school, a day school, schools for English the native children. In the leper colony located and Singalese pupils, and an industrial school. In at some distance from Paramaribo the Sisters are 1909 the hospital for the blind on Boulevard du engaged in caring for these unfortunate people who Midi, in Brussels, was given in charge of the belong to various creeds and nationalities. Num- Sisters *of Charity. In 1910 the Institute of Notre bers of these poor victims, by the charitable minis- Dame aux Epines, at Eecloo,. opened its pavilion trations of priests and Sisters, have been brought • for young ladies who are completing their educa- into the Church. In 1909 one of the nursing Sis- tion, and in 1913 that of St. Teresa, which is a ters contraeted the dreadful malady,* but the doc* center for Oxford examinations and has Greek- tors succeeded in arresting the progress of the Latin and commercial sections. In the institute disease, so that she is able to continue her labors there are 1,588 pupils and nearly 200 Sisters. At among the lepers. The third recent foundation Renaix in 1911 the Sisters took charge of the was made in the East Indies at Tondjong, Sakti. Canfyn Hospital, near which a new civil hospital where the Sisters give catechetical instruction and was begun m 1914 and completed in 1920. The training in household work, sewing, etc., to the Sisters nave been in charge of the civil hospital half-ci^sed women and girls and teach the native at Renaix since 1825. children.

In 1911 a mission was founded at Elizabeth- Previous to the World War the con^gatioii

ville (Katanga). There the Sisters have a board- had eight houses in Belgium, some of which were

ing school, day school, the State hospital, the situated in the war zone. These institutions had

hospital of the blacks, and the dispensary of the sheltered and cared for the sick among the troops

"Drop of Milk for the protection of black chil- of the invading army, when on their way to the

dren. In May, 1912, was laid the foundation stone front, so that out of regard for these charitable

of the Ave Maria, a sanatorium for insane people services the convents were spared when those of

at St. Servais-lez-Namur, opened in January, 1914, various other orders were destroyed. In 1917 the

and on the way to completion. It shelters almost Belgian Sisters suffered much, and as many fell

600 patients, taken care of by 72 Sisters of Charity, sick for want of proper nourishment, they were

In 1916 the Sisters took possession of an estate at recalled to HoUana. Two of the Belgian houses

Lovenjoul, belonging to the University of Louvain, were subsequently closed on account of post-war

an ideal place of convalescence for ladies with non* conditions,

contagious disease. In 1917 the French Dominican From the first year of the war until November,