first as lay helpers, and now as reco^zed religious, known officially as the Foreign Mission Sisters of St. Dominic, Inc. These Sisters devote themselves exclusively to work for foreign missions. The Maiy- knoU Preparatory College, The Venard, at Clark's Summit, near Scranton, Pa., admits to a five year classical course foreign mission aspirants who nave completed the ei|;ht grammar grades. Connected with this institution is a group of the Maryknoll Sisters. Their convent is dedicated to Our Lady of the Missions. The Maryknoll Medical Bureau, New York City, was founded in 1020 to interest the medical profession in mission needs, to secure the services of physicians and nurses, and to pro- vide medical supphes for hospitals and dispensaries in the missions. The Maryknoll Procure in San Francisco, Cal., is the center of Maryknoll activities on the western coast, and the depot of supplies for the missioners in China. It is also the head-
2uarterB of the Maryknoll Society of the Pacific, nc. The Maryknoll Japanese Missions at Los Angeles, Cal., and Seattle, Wash., are conducted by the Maryknoll Sisters for the education and religious instruction of the Japanese in those cities. The personnel of the Society in 1922 consisted of 38 priests, 162 students, 23 auxiliary Brothers and 128 Sisters, of whom 38 were profesed, 64 novices, and 26 postulants, making a total ^f 351.
in September, 1018. There are now 16 priests and 1 auxiliary brother in the Maryknoll Mission. In the fall of 1921 the first mission sroup of Mary- knoll Sisters arrived at their Chinese convent, Kowloon, Hongkong. The Maryknoll Procure at Kau-limg is the center of communications and sup- plies for the missions at Wu-chou, Yeung-kong, Tung-chan, Kao-chau, Loting, Shi-lung, Tungon, Chetung, Dosing, and Ping-nam, in the provinces of Kwang-tuns and Kwang-ei. Kau-lung is on the mainland, a few moments by ferry from Hong- kong. The mission was visited in 1921 by the founder and superior of the Society, Very Rev. James A. Walsh, who arrived in China in Novem- ber and ST>ent six weeks stud3ring conditions and conferring on plans for mission development. A report for 1921 of the mission gives a population of 6,000,000 pagans and 2010 Catholics, adminis- tered to by 16 American missionaries, 1 auxiliary brother (Ainerican), 6 Sisters (American), 4 semi- narians, 50 men catechists and 30 women catechists. There were 2018 catechumens. 111 baptisms of adults, 723 baptisms of children, 2196 annual con- fessions, 5236 confessions of devotion, 2093 annual communions, 7008 communions of devotion, 7 who received Extreme Unction, and 46 marriages. The Maryknoll missionaries had the followine estab- lishments : 8 districts staffed, 70 stations, 7 churches^
fV. Taggart Kao-chau
Fr. Paschang Tung-chan
Fr. Meehan Loting
Fr. Sweeney Tungon
Attended from Wu-chou Wu-chou
F^. Donovan Ping-nam
Fr. Murray Shi-lung
(Mission opened this year)
(Mission opened this year)
The work of the Society is maintained and developed by the co-operation of its associate or spiritual" members. For these members weekly Masses are offered by the priests, and they are remembered in the communions and prayers of the students and Sisters. The same spiritual benefits may, if desired, be applied to departed souls. Spiritual membership in the Society, with a per- sonal share in its good works and merits, is secured by all benefactors and by subscribers to the Mary- knoll mission monthly, "The Field Afar." Asso- ciate membership for one year is fifty cents; in perpetuity, fifty dollars, payable on enrolment or witnin two years.
A mission of 25,000 square miles in South China has been assigned to the Maryknoll Society by the Sacred College of Propaganda Fide, Rome. The first band of Maryknoll priests left for this field
30 chapels, 4 infant asylums and orphanages, 20 schools for boys with 359 pupils, 8 schools for girls with 124 pupils, 1 industrial school, and 3 dis- pensaries. It is proposed that in addition to the industrial school Maryknoll conduct a boys' high school and a university hostel at Hong-kong. A catechist or normal school has been opened re- cently at Kochow, with Fr. Meyer in charge. The accompanying table gives the details of the districts assigned to the Foreign Mission Society of America.
Foreign BCisslons, Saint Joseph's Society fob (cf. C. E., Vin-521d) .—Besides St. Joseph's Mis- sionary College at Mill Hill; London, there are three branch colleges: St. Joseph's Missiehuis at Pozendaal, Holland (erected 1890) ; St. Josef's Mis- sionhaus at Brixen, Tyrol (1891); and St. Joseph's