Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/363

This page needs to be proofread.


aSAND RAPIDS 347 GREAT FALLS

offerings from Cardinals Gibbons, and Farley and with 126 teachers, 4 academies, 2 normal schoolB,

fleveral bishops and congregations of other dioceses. 92 elementary schools, 1 industrial school. The

On 5 July, 1918, the (Hocese lost one of its oldest total attendance of pupils in Catholic schools is

clergy by the death of Rev. Dean Wunibald Wolf, 21,513. The charitable institutions comprise : Ihome


one of the small number of clergy, the Rev. James for infants, and 7 hospitals. The priests are per-

F. McMahon, gave his services as a chaplain. The mitted to minister in many of the public institu-

women of the diocese worked enthusiastically for tions. The Holy Name Society is established in

the Red Cross, and all patriotic appeals for fimds this diocese,

were met with a generous response. Oravlna and MontepelOBO (or Ibsina), Digcbsb op

By the present (1921) statistics the Cathobe (Gravinensis bt Montis Pelusu), in the province

population of the diocese numbers 22,(X)0, of whom of Bari, Southern Italy, directly subject to tne Holy

about 4000 are Polish and 3000 Mexicans, scattered See. Rt. Rev. Nicola Zimarino, bom in Casaboldino,

over an area of some 40,000 sq. miles. It com- Italy, 1847, was transferred to this see 6 December,

prises 45 parishes, 46 missions and 22 stations, 91 1906, and filled it imtil his death in July, 1920.

churches, 49 secular priests, 128 Sisters, 5 high His successor has not yet been appointed. The

schools with 23 teachers and an attendance of 358, latest statistics of 1920 credit Gravina with 22,000

3 academies with 23 teachers, 1 normal school, 12 Catholics and Montepeloso with 8000. Gravina has

elementary schools with 50 teachers and an attend- 5 parishes, 40 secular priests, 39 Sisters, and 25

ance of 1374. Charitable work is carried on by churches and chapels; Montepeloso counts 4 par-

the Sisters of St. Francis, who have two hospitals, ishes, 15 secular priests, 6 Sisters, and 10 churches

and the Holy Name Society and Knights of Colum- or chapels.

bus are organized in the diocese. Great Falls, Diocese of (Grbatormensib; cf. C.

E., VI-734c), is imder the administration of the

Gnmd Bapids, Diocese op (Gbandobmbnsib; cf. first bishop, Rt. Rev. Mathias Clement Leni-

C. E., VI-726c), comprises a portion of the lower han, D.D., who has filled the See since 1904. Since

peninsula of the State of Michigan, U. S. A., an 1909 the number of priepts and hospitals and the

area of 22,561 sq. miles. Catholic population of the diocese has been doubled,

Rt. Rev. Henry Joseph Richter, D. D., first bishop the number of Catholic schools and teachers tripled, of the diocese, after an administration of thirty- while the number of churches and missions has three years, died 26 December, 1916, known as a grown to four times its previous size. On account very careful administrator and a particularly active of the salubrious climate, the millions of irrigated promotor of the parochial school system. He was farms, the natural mineral resources and tJie ex- succeeded by his coadjutor, Rt. Rev. Michael haustless coal, gas and oil lands that are being Gallagher, D. D., who was in charge until his trans- worked there is every prospect of greater prosperity fer to Detroit, 18 November, 1918. The present and a rapid growth of Catholicity, bishop, Rt. Rev. Edward D. Kelly, D.D., appointed On 13 April, 1917, the chancellor of the diocese, 16 January, 1919, assumed charge of the diocese Rev. James Molyneux died at Glasgow, Montana, 20 May following. Bishop Kelly was consecrated and on 2 June, 1920, the diocese lost one of its in Ann Arbor, Michigan, 26 January, 1911, by the most prominent citizens by the death of Dr. Francis late Cardinal Gibbons, titular Bisliop of Cestra and J. Adams, prominent citizen and United States sur- Auxiliary to the Bishop of Detroit, and was admin- geon at Fort Assiniboine for six years. He had istrator of the diocese of Detroit after the death served as a major in the Spanish-American War of Bishop Foley until the arrival of his successor, and the World War and was on the staff of General Immediately upon his arrival in this diocese he Otis at Manila. During the World War another instituted a building program and within eighteen member of the diocese, the Rev. Wm. P. Callahan, months opened a new preparatory seminary, served as a United States Army chaplain and went churches, schools, hospitals, and has under way a overseas as a lieutenant, while each parish gave its college for young women which will be under the quota of young men to the service, direction of the Sisters of Saint Dominic of the At the present time the Catholic population of diocese. A Catholic weekly, the "Catholic Vigil," the diocese is 33,000, made up of Amencans, Irish, was foimded by him in 1919. Austrians, Poles, Germans, and a few himdred Ital-

During the World War the following priests of the ians and Bohemians. It includes 86 parishes ; 146

the diocese served as chaplains: Revs. A. Golden, churches; 124 missions with 159 stations; 46 secular

Joseph Kaminski, J. A. Mulvey, J. F. Drew, F. W. and 17 regular clei^; 6 lay brothers; 237 nuns; 22

Ryan, A. M. Fitzpatrick, D.D., J. D. Kenny. For ecclesiastical students; 1 college for women with 26

his works in the Knights of Columbus activities Mr. teachers and an attendance of 306, 4 high schools

Martin H. Carmody, a prominent layman of the with 48 teachers and an attendance of 180 boys

diocese. A Catholic weekly, the "Catholic Vigil, and 508 girls, 1 normal school with 8 teachers and

diocese, was knighted by His Holiness, Benedict attendance of 32, 13 elementary schools with 117

XV. teachers and attendance of 2843, and 4 Indian Mis« 

A convent of Discalced Carmelite Nuns, refugees sion schools. The various charitable institutions are :

from persecution in Mexico, was established in 1916 St. Thomas Orphans' Home under the direction of

by Bishop Richter. 23 Sisters of Providence with 206 orphans, 8 hos-

The Catholic population of the diocese (1921) pitals and 8 maternity homes. The state industrial

is 149,919, comprismg besides the American-born, school for boys and girls at Miles City, permits the

Irish, Germans, Poles, Canadian-French, Hollanders, ministry of the priests of the diocese and St. Labre's Belgians, and Indians. There are: 119 parishes, 230 Indian School is supported by the Government from churches, 111 missions, 35 stations, 1 monastery for the tribal funds of the Cheyenne Indians. Among women (Carmelite), 4 convents of women, 143 secu- the clergy the Priests* Eucharistic League, and lar and 26 regular clergy, 2 lay brothers, 834 Sis- among the laity the Association of the Holy Child- ten; 1 seminary, 126 seminarians, 21 high schools hood and the Apostleship of Prayer, the Sodality