Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/560

This page needs to be proofread.


KOOERA 544 KOBTH OABOLDTA

Rocoo Anselmini. b. 19 September, 1837; d. in counties and had in 1920 ten Congressional districts

August, 1910. There are (1920): 59,731 Catholics, with a population of 2,559,123, a gain of 16 per cent

82 parishes, 110 secular priests, 20 seminarians, 100 since 1910. Of this 19.2 per cent was urban; 80.8

churches or chapels. By a decree of the Consistory per cent was rural. The average number of inhabi-

of 2 January, 1915, the Collegiate Church of San tants to the square mile is 52.5. The census of 1920

Benedetto at Qualdo Tadino was erected into a cathe- reveals the composition of the population as follows:

dral honoris tantum causa and the title of Tadino was whites 1,783.779; negroes 763,407; Indians 11,824.

united to that of Nocera. The native whites who total 1 .776,680 have 1 ,765,203

of native parentage; 5737 of foreign parentage; 5740

Kooera del Pagani, Diocese of (Nucbrinensis of mixed parentage. The foreign-bom numbered

Paqangrum; cf . C. E. , XI— 87a) , in the province of only 7099. The proportion of negroes to whites varies


^jaiaona, / Apru, io:«j, oroamea m may. ioi«. was vanes from 60 to 62.6 per cent. Indian reservaUons appointed bishop 12 Julv, 1913, enthroned 15 in 1919 covered an area of 98 square miles and had a February, 1914, published 25 May following, to population of 2235. The largest cities are Charlotte succeed Bishop Luigi del Fomo, b. 24 August, 1842; (46,338), Winston-Salem (48,395), Wilmington, d. 7 January, 1913. Diocesan statistics (1920) credit (33,372), Asheville (28,504;, Raleigh (24,418). ^ it with 18 parishes, 180 secular and 50 regular priests, Economic CoNornoNS. — Agriculture continues to 12 seminarians, 28 churches or chapels. At Nocera develop as an industry in the State, for in 1920 the reposes the body of St. Alphonsus of Ligouri. number of farms was 269,763, an increase of 6.3 per __ , ^ ,__ i. ^ T^ vr «*^ X oeJ^t; the land area was 31,193,600; the value of farm NolA, DioowB OF (NoLANA, cf. C. E., XI-^c). property, $1,250,166,995; of hve stock $119,152,672. si^ragan of Naples, js under the administration of ^ t^e crops, which totalled $503,229,313, the chief Mgr. Agnello RensuUo, who has filled the see since ^ere com (40,998,317 bushels, worth $79,946,722); 1890. He was bom m Naples 2 April. 1836, or- ^^gat (4,744,528 bushels, $11,861,354); peanuts dained m 1860 and appointed bishop of Iflerhia and (6,854,689 bushels, $13,465,793); sweet potatoes and Venafro 27 Februaiy, 1880, which see he filled until yams (7,959,786 bushels, $11,939,707); cotton his transfer to Nola. During the World War the (868,406 bales, $149,362,644); tobacco (280,163,432 priests and laity of the diocese assisted with the pounds, $151,288,264); sugar-cane (386,285 tons, bureaux of information and gave shelter to refu- $28,585,090). In the eastem part of the State the gees. By present (1921) statistics the diocese fisheries are very valuable, especially the shad and comprises 89 parishes, 632 churches, 1 mission, 9 03rster. Mining is not very extensive, but there is a monasteries for men, 2 for women, 219 secular sreat variety of minerals, the chief being talc, mica, priests and 50 regulars, 20 Brothers, 250 Sisters, &on, soapstone, baiytes. coal, gold and silver. A 1 seminary with 80 seminarians, 350 university stu- gr^tdealof lumber is ^pped from the State. About dents, 4 colleges for men with 50 professors and 21,000,000 acres are in forest, the total value being 400 students, 1 college for women with 6 pro- $167,450,000. The Census of Manufactures of 1919 fessors and 70 students, 2 normal schools with 25 reveals 5999 establishments, with an average of teachers and 150 students, 1 professional school 157,000 wage-eamers. producing goods worth $943,- with 8 teachers and 60 students, 70 elementaiy 808,000; the capital mvested $^9,144,000; the cost schools with 350 teachers and 5000 students. The of materials, $526,906^000. The chief seaport is various charitable institutions, 2 homes, 50 asylums Wilmington, from which, in 1919, were eiroorted and 3 hospitals; these institutions as well as the goods valuea at $33,941,(^, chiefly cotton for foreign Catholic schools receive financial aid from the ports. In 1919 there were 5207 miles of railwav Government. A Federation of clergy and 5 socie- (1009 miles of sidings, and 301 miles of electric rail- ties amon^ the laity are established in the diocese, way) with 11 companies. The^ State has 471 banks and 5 periodicals are published. with a capital of $13,468^000 and 84 national banks ^, ^ , „ ^^ ,^^ with a capital of $9,965,000. In 1919 the State debt Nonantola, Prelaturb Nttllius of (Nonantu- amounted to $10,090,104; the assessed value of per- LENSis; cf. C. E., X— 95a), m the province of Modena, gonal and real property to $1,029,993,778. Accordig Northern Italy, perpetually united to the Archdiocese to the Council of Foreign Bondholdera the State has a of Modena (q. v.) since 23 Januaryv 1821. The defaulted debt of about twelve mUlion doUars, but prelature numbers (1920) 30 parishes and 35,049 m- the State refuses to recognize it, considering it the habitants served by 69 pnests. In 1917 was com- fraudulent issue of reconstmction days, pleted the work of restoration on the abbey church Charitable and Educational Status.— The which dates back to the eleventh century. charities of the State are under the State Boaxti

KorWUn. Ord«r. See Pb.mo.^™.b.as '^^iT^^'tL^^^^ienf^l'^^/'^^ ^ANON . ^^^ ^ juvenile court, compulsory in every countv. Korda, Diocese op (Norsinensis; cf. C. E., Among the recent additions to the State charitable XI— 101c). in the province of Perugia, Central Italy, institutions are the North Carolina Orthopfledic Hoe- directly subject to the Holy See. The present bishop pital in Gastonia, chartered m 1914, erected in 1920, is Rt. Rev. Vincenzo Migliorelli, b. 3 September, and a Confederate Women's Home, esteblwhed m 1873, appointed 11 July, 1916, consecrated at Rome Fayetteville m 1913. The Department of Education 28 October following, to succeed Rt. Rev. Ercolano w one of the executive departments of the State gov- Marini, promoted to the Archdiocese of Amalfi, 2 emment. The Supermtendent of Pubhc Instruction June, 1915. According to 1920 statistics there are is elected by the people for four years. The official

■" reports of the public schools for the years 1917-18

show a total school population of wnites 446,270;

colored 187,980: school-nouses 8535; white teachers

11,730; oolorea teachers 3511; totisd average fund

North Carolina (cf. C. E., XI-108a)— The total $5,677,769. The following are under State control,

area of the State of North Carolina is 52.426 square but receive aid from tuition fees and donations: the

miles, of which 3686 are water. It is divided into 100 State University, situated at Chapel Hill, endowment