Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/673

This page needs to be proofread.


SAINT JOSEPH 657 SAINT JOSEPH

Macon, Marion, Monroe, Ralls, Randolph, Shelby, the mountains caUed Nayarit which lie in the States

Schuyler, Scotland, and that part of Chanton County of Zacatecas, Durango, and Jalisco. There they

east of the Chariton River was detached from the established themselves and for ten years evangelisecl

Archdiocese of St. Louis and attached to the Diocese the Indians until the destructive revolution of 1914

of St. Joseph. By reason of this extension the Diocese and the following years expelled the missionaries

of St. Joseph now com{>rise8 the whole northern part and dratroyed theu" works.

of the State of Missouri extending from the Missouri In 1895 the congregation opened a house in Rome, to the Mississippi River and is bounded on the south established there their procurator general, and ordered bvthecountiesof Howard. Boone, Audrain, and Pike, its students to follow the scholastic courses of the The diocese has 32 parochial schools with an atten- Roman University. In 1898 the Decretum Laudis dance of 1985 boys and 1980 girls, or a total of 3905. was obtained from the Holy See. In 1902 the The Catholic population is about 42,000. On account Sacred Collie approved the constitutions of the of the advanced age and continued infirmity of Bishop congregation conmtionally for seven years, and on M. F. Burke, by virtue of a decree of the Sacred 14 September, 1911, granted final approbation. Congregation of the Consistory, dated 18 April, 1921 , Fr. Vilaseca had di^ 3 April, 1910, and was succeeded Rt. Rev. James P. Brady was named apostolic by Fr. Jos6 M. Troncoso, now head of the institute, administrator of the Diocese of St. Joseph, with all The religious persecution which ravaged Mexico the rights and privileges annexed bv law to that office, through the instrumentality of President Carransa The Rt. Rev. James P. Brady took official possession was as fierce and terrible as that of President Juares of the administration accordmg to the terms of the fifty vears before, and caused great haim to the decree 25 April, 1921. Joeepnites. All their houses were occupied by - . ^ , . . - . . soldiers and their religious dispersed, among them Saint Joseph, MissioNARnis of, of Miaaoo their superior general, who emigrated to theUnited (Jo8BPHiTE8).--Thi8 Congregation was founded in states, whUe others went to Central America. The the City of Mexico m 1872, durmK the time of Presi- revolutionary trouble has now passed and the re- dent Juarez, when anti-religious laws had been pro- ligious can return to their houses and take up their mulgated and all the religious congregations driven Sasions. At present the number of missionaries is from Mexican soU. A niember of the Congregation joq with 12 houses, aU in Mexico, and a procurator of the Mission, expelled from his convent, conceived general in Rome, the idea of foundmg a congregation with a native

character, to help efface the evil caused by the dis- Saint Joseph, SiflTBRS of. — Congrbgation of thb

persion of the religious who had existed there. This Sistters of St. Joseph (cf. C. E.. VIII— 511a),

Sriest was Fr. Jos^ M. Vilaseca^ bom in Igualda, founded at Le Puy, France, in 1650 by Fr. Jean- pain, 19 January, 1831. Fr. Vilaseca's idea was Paid Mddaille, S. J., and dispersed during the French to found an order similar to the institutes of St. Revolution. Among the religious who survived the Vincent de Paul, with organizations like the Lazarists reign of terror was Mother St. John Fontbonne, who, and Sisters of Charity. The two institutes were anxious to reassemble her community, established a placed under the protection of St. Joseph and were novitiate at Saint Etienne in 1807 at the expressed called Missionaries of St. Joseph (Josefines) and wish of Cardinal Fisch for the reconstruction of the Sisters of St. Joseph (Josefinas). Their object was congregation. This foundation was a few years later to preach the gospel to the people, especially to the remov^ to Lyons which then became the mother- poor and the numerous Indians in Mexico, still house for that arehdiocese, the congregation at that living in savagery and idolatry. The Sisters were to time being diocesan. The community now at Le instruct the young and nurse the sick in hospitals. Puy has a mother-house on the site of the original In the beginning the circumstances of the persecu- foundation of 1650. It has suffered much under tion of congregations caused the two institutes to recent le^^ation. The mother-house at Lyons is lead a conceiEd^ life. The men mingled with the still in existence and had numerous schools and students of a seminary called the Clerical College, institutions previous to 1905. From it foundations which fiBLve to the dioceses of Mexico two hundred have been made in Armenia, Egypt, Corsica, the

Sriests m those troubled years. The Sisters passed as Indies, Mexico, and the United States. The Sisters

>auKhters of Mary. However, in a short time, were mtroduced into the United States throufi^

the founder and some of his reli^ous managed to correspondence between Bishop Rosati of St. Louis

elude the authorities, and give missions in the country and Fr. Charles ChoUeton, Spiritual Father of the

and small centers. Sisters in the Diocese of Lvons and also foreign vicar

During; the presidency of General Porfirio Diaz the of St. Louis. They settled[ first in Carondelet, in the

persecution was very much abated and some expelled Diocese of St. Louis, in 1836. and later Bishop Rosati

congregations returned to Mexico, but not the sent three religious to Cahokia. The founaiation in

Sisters of Charity. The Josephite Institutes took Canada was made by Sister Delphine, one of the

advantage of this truce to consolidate and increase original band of six who came to Carondelet from

their numbers. The missionaries separated from the Lyons.

Clerical College and started their, own seminary in Boston (cf. C. E., VIII — 512d). — In 1873 Sisters of

spite of great difficulty, through lack of vocations. St. Joseph from the Brooklyn foundation opened a

In Mexico there is a sp&t scarcity of religious voca- parochial school in connection with St. Tliomas

tions among men. Tne dioceses of the central sec- Church, Jamaica Plain, at the request of Fr. Thomas

tion of the country, like Guadalajara, Michoacan, Magennis, pastor there. They were soon asked to

and Zamora, produce a lar^ number of secular priests take charge of similar schools in South Boston,

each year but very few religious. The other dioceses Stoughton, Amesbury. In 1876 a novitiate was

even lack secular priests. The Congregation of St. opened and Boston became an independent establish-

Joseph did not have many subjects, and of the few ment of the Sisters under Archbishop Williams, witli

foundations made several disappeared for various Mother Mary Regis as superior. Tne novitiate was

reasons. In 1892 the first missionaries succeeded in transferred to Cambridge m 1885 and Mt. St. Joseph

penetrating the country of the sava^ Indian tribes. Academy was opened there, but this property was

^e Trahumares in the State of Chihuahua and the sold for Metropolitan Park purposes in 1891 and a

Yaquis in Sonora were evangelized but these missions novitiate and academy were built at Brighton^ In

were not permanent, as the priests were no more than 1902 a normal school was opened at Canton, and the

explorers of the limd. Later the Fathers penetrated novitiate transferred there. In 1921 these were