Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/700

This page needs to be proofread.


BOUTABI 684 SEOKAXX

tion were declined in 1921. The diocese has the fol- The following societies exist among the clergy:

lowing charitable institutions: 2 homes, 2 asylums, Clerical Reli^ Fund, Eucharistic League. Among

3 hospitals, 1 da^ nursery. A weekly called the the laity: Holy Name Society. St. Vincent de Paul

Catholic Li^t" is printed in the diocese. During Society, National Catholic Welfare Council. A paper

he war 13 priests acted as chaplains. called the "Catholic Northwest Progress" is pub-

_ . . ^ ,^ ^ lished in the diocese. Scntari, Archdiocese of (Scutarensis; cf.

C. £.,XI1I — 648a), in Albania. The last archbishop Sebastta* Archdiocese of (Sebasten Armen-

was the Most Rev. Jacques Sereggi, who adminis- grum; cf. C. E., XIII — 667d), of the Armenian rite,

tered the archdiocese from 1910 to 1921. The see is with Tokat as a dependency, in Asia Minor. The

now vacant. Statistics for 1920 give 34,820 Catholics, see has been vacant since 1919. According to 1920

23 foreign and 39 native priests, 29 churches and 15 statistics the archdiocese contains 3000 Armenian

chapels. Catholics, 12 mission parishes and 4 churches.

Searle, George Mart, Paulist, astronomer, b. Sebenlco, Digcese of (Sebenicensis; cf. C. E..

at London on 27 June, 1839; d. at New York, on XIII — 608d), in Dalmatia, Jugoslavia, suffragan of

7 July, 1918. He was a descendant of Governor Zara. The last bishop was the Rt. Rev. Luca Pappa-

Dudley of Massachusetts Bay. After the death of fava. The see has been vacant since 1919. Acoordmg

his parents, who were Episcopalians, he was edu- to the statistics of 1920 the diocese contained: 98,853

cated as a Unitarian at Brookline, Mass.. but at Catholics, 50 parishes, 7 curacies, 54 secular and 64

Harvard University, while retaining a belief in God, regular priests.

he lost faith in a Revelation; at a later date, how- _ . ^ ^ ^« x •

ever, he recovered his faith and eventually entered Bockau, or Graz, Diocese op (Sboovibnbib), m

the Catholic Church (1862). After acting aB com- Austria, suffragan of Salzburg. The downfall of the

puter for tie "American Ephemeri and Nautical Austro-Hungarian Empire and the disruption of

Almanac," he was appointed assistant astronomer at Styria which had existed for the past twelve cen-

Dudley Observatory, Albany, New York, where turies, brought about great changes in the diocese,

he discovered the asteroid Pandora, Subsequently During the World War which caused so much

he taught mathematics in the Annapolis Navcd misery and suffering, both the clergy and laity of

Academy, and was called to Harvard Observatory as the diocese, served their country with great seal

assistant m 1866. Joining the Paulist congregation in and unselfish devotion. The houses of the Domin-

1868, he subsequentlv held the chair of mathematics icans, Lazarists, Brothers of Charity, as well as the

and astronomy in the Catholic University, Wash- convents of the Religious of the Sacred Heart and

ington. It is interesting to note that his forecast Sisters of St. Elizabeth, were used as hospitals for

of the last return of Halley^s Comet was accepted by the wounded, and ajs convalescent homes. Five

American astronomers as the most reliable compu- seculars and several regulars gave their services as

tation. Though so well known to the public as an chaplains. The first diocesan ^ynod was held in

astronomer. Father Searle's chief work was pastoral; August, 1911. and in 1919 the present incumbent of

as a confessor and preacher he was popular; and his the see, Bishop Leopold Schuster, celebrated his

religious spirit is evidenced by his election as superior fiftieth anniversary as priest, and his twenty-fifth

general of the Paulists in 1904. He was a Fellow of anniversary as bishop.

the Association for the Advancement of Science, and The population of the diocese consists of 948^^96

a member of the American Academy of Arts and Catholics and about 21^235 non-Catholics. The


World " and Cathoug Encyclopedia. His "Plain women with 128 branches, and 2086 Sisters; 627

Facts tor Fair Minds, a popular explanation of the seculars and 348 regulars, 224 lay brothers. The

chief Catholic doctrines, has enjoyed great popularity. Cathedral Chapter consists of 3 honorarv canons

and in his last work, "Truth About Christian Science, (Dignitare) and 7 residential canons. The state

he corroborates Thurston's verdict that Eddyism is university is at Graz and has a theological faculty

neither Christian nor scientific. with 10 professors and 2 privatdozenten. The

Powi>B8inilm«ru»(27July.i9l8).378^. Benedictines have a theological school (university

Seattle, Diocese of CSeattlbnsis; cf. C. E., course) at Admont (3 students), the Redemptor-

XIII — 605a). comprising the State of Washington, ists, one at Mantem (7 lectors, 18 clerical profes-

U. S. A. The Rt. Rev. Edward J. O'Dea who has eors), the Dominicans one at Graa (6 lectors, 15

administered the diocese since 1896, celebrat^ the clerical professors), where ther^ is also a diocesan

twenty-fifth anniversary of his episcopal consecra- seminary for boys connected with a gymnasium

tion on 8 Sept., 1921. The diocese contains 79 (21 professors, 300 students). Preparatory sdiods

parishes, 66 missions, 45 mission stations, 77 churches, for classical studies (Unter gymnasium, 6 years

1 abbey and 3 convents for men, 1 monastery and course) are conducted by the Benedictines at Ad-

12 convents for women, 74 secular priests, 70 regu- mont and St. Lambrecht, a realschule (6 years sd-

lars^ 28 lay brothers, 565 Sisters. Twenty semi- entific course with Latin in curriculum) by the

nanans are being educated at seminaries in other Brothers of Mary, and 2 normal schools for girls by

dioceses. The following educationsd institutions the Ursulines at Graz, and the School Sisters at

exist in the diocese; 2 colleges for men with 31 Algersdorf, near Graz. There are 45 common

teachers and 591 students; 10 high schools with 30 elementary schools and 5 kindergartens which are

teachers and 630 students (230 boys, 400 eirls), in charge of the following orders: Brothera of

6 academies with 60 teachers and 1301 girl students; Mary (2), Religious of the Sacred Heart (2), Ur-

1 normal school with 5 teachers and 244 students; sulines (2), School Sisters (28). Dominicans (2).

31 elementary schools with 180 teachers and 5924 Sisters of Charity (8). Sisters of the Holy Cross (1) :

pupils; 1 industrial school with 5 teachers and 120 an industrial school for girls has been established


hospitals and jails admit the ministry of priests, ohc workingmen's home, 2 homes for working-