deputy commissioner at Patna, and non-official Europeans resented so strongly Canning's sanction of the appointment that it was made one of the grounds in the Calcutta petition for Canning's recall. Anglo-Indian opinion rallied to the side of Tayler, whose published attacks on Halliday continued (see The Patna Crisis, 1858). Finally Tayler refused assurances of future good conduct, and, resigning the service on full pension on 29 March 1859, pursued his agitation for redress of alleged wrong till his death in 1892. The open controversy scarcely closed before 14 June 1888, when a motion by Sir Roper Lethbridge for a select committee on Tayler's case was opposed by the under-secretary for India (Sir John Gorst) and defeated by 164 to 20 (cf. Parliamentary Payers: Halliday's Memorandum, 1879, No. 238, and Tayler's reply, 1880, No. 143; vide also 1879, No. 308, and 1888, Nos. 226, 247, and 258). 'The Times' and the historians of the mutiny, Malleson and Mr. T. Rice Holmes, vehemently denounced Halliday's treatment of Tayler, while Sir John Kaye supported Tayler with reservations. The controversy is more judicially reviewed by Mr. G. W. Forrest in his 'History of the Indian Mutiny' (vol. iii. 1912), who shows Tayler to have been mistaken, theatrical, and insubordinate.
Meanwhile on 29 Sept. 1868 Halliday was appointed to the council of India, and there being no statutory limit of tenure, remained a member until his resignation on 31 Dec. 1886. His salaried public service had then extended over sixty-one years.
Halliday was a musician of unusual capacity, performing on the contra basso. He gave and took part in concerts when lieut.-governor of Bengal, earning the sobriquet of 'Big Fiddle.' In later years his great stature and commanding figure made him conspicuous in many an orchestra at high-class concerts at the Crystal Palace and elsewhere. Retaining Ms faculties and memory unimpaired when a nona-genarian, he could vividly describe in the twentieth century as an eye-witness the last suttee (widow-burning) near Calcutta, just before the practice was prohibited by the regulation of 1829. He died on 22 Oct. 1901 at his residence, 21 Bolton Gardens, South Kensington, and was buried at Brompton cemetery.
He married in 1834 Eliza, daughter of General Paul Macgregor, of the East India Company's army. She died in 1886, and had a numerous family. The eldest son, Frederick Mytton, Bengal C.S., was sometime commissioner of Patna and member of the board of revenue; another son is Lieut.-general George Thomas, late of the Bengal cavalry; and a grandson, Sir Frederick Loch Halliday, is commissioner of pohce, Calcutta.
[C. E. Buckland's Bengal under the Lieut.-Governors, Calcutta, 1902, i. 1-162; Mutiny histories by Kaye, Malleson, Forrest, and Holmes; Sir W. Lee-Warner's Life of Dalhousie, 1904; Dalhousie's Private Letters, 1910; Parl. papers on Tayler's cass, cited above, and Tayler's books and pamphlets; Parl. Debates, 1879, 1880, and 1888; India List, 1901; The Times, 24 Oct. 1901.]
HAMBLIN SMITH. [See Smith, James Hamblin.]
HAMILTON, DAVID JAMES (1849–1909), pathologist, born on 6 March 1849 at Falkirk, was third child and second son of the nine children of George Hamilton, M.D., practitioner in that town, who wrote numerous articles in 'Chambers's Encyclopædia,' by his wife Mary Wyse, daughter of a naval surgeon. A sister Mary married on 9 Feb. 1891, as his second wife, Charles Saunders Dundas, sixth Viscount Melville. At the age of seventeen Hamilton became a medical student at Edinburgh, and was attracted to pathology by the influence of Professor William Rutherford Sanders [q. v.]. After qualifying in 1870 he was house surgeon at the old Edinburgh Infirmary, resident medical officer at Chalmers' Hospital, Edinburgh,and for two years at the Northern Hospital, Liverpool, where he wrote the essay on 'Diseases and injuries of the spinal cord' which in 1874 was awarded the triennial Astley Cooper prize of 300l. awarded by the medical staff of Guy's Hospital. This enabled him to spend two years in working at pathology in Vienna, Munich, Strassburg, and Paris. In 1876 he returned as demonstrator of pathology to Edinburgh, where his teaching came as a revelation to the students. He was also pathologist to the Royal Infirmary. During Professor Sanders's illness (1880-1) he delivered the lectures, but was disappointed in not being elected his successor. In 1882, when an extra-mural teacher in Edinburgh, he was appointed to the chair of pathology founded by Sir William James Erasmus Wilson [q. v.] at Aberdeen. There his life's work was done. He entirely organised the teaching, so that at his resignation through ill-health in 1908 the pathological department had a European reputation and pupils in all parts of the world, as was shown by the volume of 'Studies of Pathology' (edited by W. Bulloch) which they dedicated to him in 1906 at