Between 1847 and 1868 Miss Sewell published, besides those already mentioned, seven tales, of which 'Ursula' (1858) is the most important. She wrote also many devotional works and schoolbooks. Of the former 'Thoughts for Holy Week' (1857) and 'Preparation for the Holy Communion' (1864) have been often reprinted, as late as 1907 and 1910 respectively. Her schoolbooks chiefly deal with history, and two volumes of 'Historical Selections' (1868) were written in collaboration with Miss Yonge. Miss Sewell contributed to the 'Monthly Packet.' Her autobiography appeared in 1907.
[The Times, 18 Aug. 1906; Autobiography of Elizabeth M. Sewell, ed. Eleanor L. Sewell, 1907; C. M. W[hitehead]'s Recollections of Miss Elizabeth Sewell and her Sisters, 1910; Mountague Charles Owen's The Sewells of the Isle of Wight; Brit. Mus. Cat.; private information.]
SEWELL, JAMES EDWARDS (1810–1903), warden of New College, Oxford, born at Newport, Isle of Wight, on 25 Dec. 1810, was seventh child and sixth son of Thomas Sewell, solicitor, of Newport, by his wife Jane, daughter of Rev. John Edwards, curate of Newport. He was one of a family of twelve, which included Richard Clarke Sewell, legal writer [q. v.], William Sewell, divine [q. v.], Henry Sewell, first premier of New Zealand [q. v.], and Elizabeth Missing Sewell [q. v. Suppl. II], authoress. Admitted a scholar of Winchester College in 1821, James became a probationary fellow of New College, Oxford, in 1827, and a full fellow in 1829. He graduated B.A. in 1832, proceeding M.A. in 1835, B.D. and D.D. in 1860, and was ordained deacon in 1834 and priest in 1836. Except for a few months in 1834-5, when he was curate to Archdeacon Heathcote [q. v.] at Hursley, he resided in New College from 1827 to his death in 1903. He filled successively every office in the college, and in 1860 was elected warden. He took a large part in university affairs, was the first secretary of the Oxford local examinations delegacy, and from 1874 to 1878 was vice-chancellor. He actively aided in the preservation and arrangement of the MS. records in the library of the college. The chief share in the growth of New College during his long wardenship is to be attributed to his colleagues, but Sewell loyally accepted changes which did not commend themselves to his own judgment. It was largely owing to him that there was no break in the continuity of college tradition and feeling, and that older generations of Wykehamists were reconciled to the reforms made by successive commissions and by the college itself, Sewell died unmarried in the warden's lodgings. New College, on 29 January 1903, and was buried in the cloisters of the college. A portrait by Sir Hubert von Herkomer (which has been engraved) hangs in the hall of New College. A cartoon portrait by 'Spy' appeared in 'Vanity Fair' in 1894. Sewell compiled a list of the wardens and fellows of New College, with notes on their careers; the MS. is preserved in the college library.
[The Sewells of the Isle of Wight, by Mountague Charles Owen (privately printed); Rashdall and Rait's New College (Oxford College Histories); New College, 1856-1906, by Hereford B. George, 1906.]
SHAND (afterwards Burns), ALEXANDER, Baron Shand of Woodhouse (1828–1904), Scottish judge and lord of appeal, born at Aberdeen on 13 Dec. 1828, was son of Alexander Shand, merchant in Aberdeen, by his wife Louisa, daughter of John Whyte, M.D., of Banff. His grand-father, John Shand, was parish minister of Kintore. Losing his father in early boyhood, he was taken to Glasgow by his mother, who there married William Burns, writer, in whose office her son worked as a clerk while attending lectures at Glasgow University (1842-8). He assumed the surname of Burns, and was a law student at Edinburgh University (1848-52), spending during the period a short time at Heidelberg University. He became a member of the Scots Law Society and of the Juridical Society (17 March 1852), and passed to the Scottish bar on 26 Nov. 1853. His progress was rapid, and he was soon in full practice. In 1860 he was appointed advocate depute, in 1862 sheriff of Kincardine, and in 1869 of Haddington and Berwick. In 1872 he was raised to the bench. After serving with great distinction as a judge for eighteen years, he retired, and settled in London in 1890.
On 21 Oct. 1890 he was sworn of the privy council, and on 11 November following took his seat at the board of the judicial committee (under the Appellate Jurisdictions Act, 1887, 50 & 51 Vict. c. 70, sect. 3) as a privy councillor who had held 'a high judicial position.' He was elected an honorary bencher of Gray's Inn on 23 March 1892. On 20 August of that year he was raised to the peerage as Baron Shand of Woodhouse, Dumfriesshire, and for twelve