in 1877, and from 1889 the institution was used as an ecclesiastical seminary. Northcote went back on leaving Oscott to his first mission at Stone, removing in 1881 to the mission at Stoke-on-Trent. After 1887 creeping paralysis withdrew him from active work, and he died at the Presbytery, Stoke-on-Trent, on 3 March 1907, being buried at Oscott cemetery, which he had opened in 1863. Northcote married on 10 Dec. 1842 his cousin Susannah Spencer (d. June 1853), daughter of Joseph Ruscombe Poole, solicitor, of Bridgwater, and had issue three sons and three daughters, all of whom predeceased him.
Northcote published much on the early Christian antiquities in Rome. Articles on the Catacombs in the 'Rambler' (Jan. and July 1860) gave rise to much discussion. His 'Roma Sotterranea; or an Account of the Roman Catacombs' (1869; 2nd edit. 1878) (with Bishop William Robert Brownlow) was compiled from G. B. de Rossi's Italian work 'Roma Sotterranea;' it remains the standard work in English on the subject. It was translated into German in 1873 (2nd edit. 1879) and into French. Other works by Northcote on the subject are: 1. 'The Roman Catacombs,' 1857; 2nd edit. 1859. 2. 'A Visit to the Roman Catacombs,' 1877; reprinted 1891. 3. 'Epitaphs of the Catacombs,' 1878. He also published: 4. 'A Pilgrimage to La Salette,' 1852. 5. 'Mary in the Gospels' (sermons and lectures), 1867; 2nd edit. 1885; new revised edit. 1906. 6. 'Celebrated Sanctuaries of the Madonna,' 1868 (articles reprinted from the 'Rambler,' 1850-2). 7. 'Sermons,' 1876. With Charles Meynell he published in 1863 'The "Colenso" Controversy from the Catholic Standpoint.' A portrait in oils, executed by J. R. Herbert, R.A., in 1873, hangs in the breakfast parlour at Oscott College. Northcote is commemorated by the 'Northcote Hall' at Oscott, which he inaugurated in 1866.
[The Times, Birmingham Daily Post, and Tablet, 9 March 1907; funeral sermon by William Barry, D.D., entitled The Lord my Light, 1907; The Oscotian (Northcote number), July 1907; Report of case Fitzgerald V. Northcote, 1866; Catholic Encyclopædia (s.vv. Northcote and Oscott); Cath. Univ. Bulletin, Washington, March-April 1909; Gasquet's Acton and his Circle, pp. xxi and 300-1.]
NORTON, first Baron. [See Adderley, Charles Bowyer (1814–1905), president of the board of trade.]
NORTON, JOHN (1823–1904), architect, born on 28 Sept. 1823 at Bristol, was son of John Norton by his wife Sarah Russell. After education at Bristol grammar school he entered as a pupil in 1846 the office in London of Benjamin Ferrey [q. v.] and attended classes of Prof. Thomas Leverton Donaldson [q. v.] at the University of London, where he received in 1848 the first prize from Lord Brougham.
Norton became an associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1850 and fellow in 1857; he was for a time a member of its council, and became president of the Architectural Association for the session 1858-9. He was honorary secretary of the Arundel Society (for producing printed copies of paintings by old masters) throughout its existence (1848-98).
Norton quickly built up a large and lucrative architectural practice in both domestic and ecclesiastical buddings. He was fortunate in finding many patrons of distinction and wealth. For the Maharajah Duleep Singh he built Elveden Hall, Suffolk; for William Gibbs he rebuilt Tyntesfield, Somerset; and for Sir Alexander Acland-Hood, first Baron St. Audries, he designed a house at St. Audries in the same county, as well as a church there. Other works were Badgemore, Oxfordshire, for Richard Ovey; Ferney Hall, Shropshire, for W. Hurt-Sitwell; Horstead Hall, Norfolk, for Sir E. Birkbeck; Nutfield, Surrey, for H. E. Gurney; Monkhams, Essex, for H. Ford Barclay; Euston Hall, Suffolk, for the Duke of Grafton; public works and buildings of the new boulevard, Florence; International College, Isleworth; Winter Gardens, &c., at Great Yarmouth and Tynemouth; Langland Bay Hotel, South Wales; South Western Terminus Hotel, Southampton; Fickle Castle, Esthonia; Framlingham Hall, Norfolk; Brent Knoll, Somerset; Summers Place, Sussex; Chew Magna Manor House, Somerset; Town Hall and Constitutional Club, Neath; Training College for the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
Among his London designs were the Turf Club, Piccadilly; the Submarine Telegraph Co.'s office, Throgmorton Avenue; the Canada Government Buildings and Victoria Mansions, Westminster; residential mansions, Mandeville Place, W., with several hotels, business premises, and residential flats.
Though not working exclusively in the Gothic style, Norton designed much ecclesiastical work in the Gothic style of the mid-nineteenth century. He designed the