appeared in 1904, and the last two, incomplete, under the supervision of Sir Alfred Lyall in 1908. 6. 'Studies in Biography,' 1907. 7. 'Essays Political and Biographical,' with a short memoir by his daughter, posthumously in 1908. Besides these works he wrote two volumes for the 'English Citizen' series, viz. 'The Electorate and the Legislature' (1881) and 'Foreign Relations' (1882).
Walpole married on 12 Nov. 1867 Marion Jane, youngest daughter of Sir John Digby Murray, tenth baronet of Blackbarony, who survived him till 9 May 1912. He left an only daughter, married to Mr. Francis C. Holland.
An excellent portrait of Walpole, painted in later life by Mr. Hugh Riviere, is in the possession of his daughter.
[Private information; Proc. Brit. Acad. (by Sir Alfred C. Lyall), 1907-8, pp. 373-8; memoir prefixed to Essays Political and Biographical, 1908.]
WALSH, WILLIAM PAKENHAM (1820–1902), bishop of Ossory, Ferns, and Leighlin, born at Mote Park, Roscommon, 4 May 1820, was eldest son of Thomas Walsh of St. Helena Lodge, co. Roscommon, by Mary, daughter of Robert Pakenham of Athlone. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, on 14 Oct. 1836, where he won the vice-chancellor's, the Biblical Greek, and the divinity prizes, with the Theological Society's gold medal. He graduated B.A. in 1841, proceeding M.A. in 1853, B.D. and D.D. in 1873. Ordained deacon in 1843, he was licensed to the curacy of Ovoca, co. Wicklow, and ordained priest the next year. From 1845 to 1858 he was curate of Rathdrum, co. Wicklow, where in the famine years 1846–7 his zeal and charity made him known far beyond his parish. From 1858 to 1873 he was chaplain of Sandford church, Ranelagh, Dublin.
As Donnellan lecturer of Trinity College he in 1860 chose as his theme Christian missions. He was long association secretary for Ireland of the Church Missionary Society. From 1873 to 1878 Walsh was dean of Cashel, and busily devoted his leisure there to literary work. In 1878 he was elected to the united sees of Ossory, Ferns, and Leighlin, being consecrated in Christ Church cathedral, Dublin, in September 1878.
As a bishop, Walsh was known by his gentle piety and wide sympathies. Zealous for foreign missions, he preached the annual sermon of the Church Missionary Society in 1882. A far-reaching movement for the increase of the society's funds was the result of his appeal. Although a decided evangelical, Walsh avoided ecclesiastical controversy. His influence was of great value in building up the disestablished church. Failure of health led to his resignation in October 1897. He died at Shankill, co. Dublin, on 30 July 1902. Walsh was twice married: (1) in 1861 to Clara, daughter of Samuel Ridley, of Muswell Hill, four sons and three daughters of whom survived him; and (2) in 1879 to Annie Frances, daughter of John Winthorpe Hackett, incumbent of St. James's, Bray, co. Dublin, who, with two sons, survived him.
His chief publications were: 1. 'Christian Missions,' Donnellan Lectures, 1862. 2. 'The Moabite Stone,' 1872. 3. 'The Forty Days of the Bible,' 1874. 4. 'The Angel of the Lord,' 1876. 5. 'Daily Readings for Holy Seasons,' 1876. 6. 'Ancient Monuments and Holy Writ,' 1878. 7. 'Heroes of the Mission Fields,' 1879. 8. 'Modern Heroes of the Mission Fields,' 1882. 9. 'The Decalogue of Charity,' 1882. 10. 'Echoes of Bible History,' 1887. 11. 'Voices of the Psalms,' 1890.
[Guardian, 6 Aug. 1902; Record, 8 Aug. 1902; Lowndes, Bishops of the Day; E. Stock, History of the C.M.S., 1899, ii. 37; iii. 265; private information.]
WALSHAM, Sir JOHN, second baronet (1830–1905), diplomatist, born at Cheltenham on 29 Oct. 1830, was eldest of four sons of Sir John James Walsham, first baronet, of Knill Court, Herefordshire, high sheriff of Radnorshire in 1870, by Sarah Frances, second daughter of Matthew Bell of Woolsington House, Northumberland. The father's family, of Norfolk origin, migrated to Radnorshie in the sixteenth century, and acquired by marriage the estates of the Knill family. The baronetcy conferred on a direct ancestor, General Sir Thomas Morgan [q. v.], on 1 Feb. 1661, became extinct in 1768, and was revived in 1831 in favour of Sir John's father.
After education at Bury St. Edmund's grammar school and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1854 and M.A. in 1857, Walsham entered the audit office in March 1854. In October of the same year he was appointed a clerk in the foreign office, and was temporarily attached to the British legation at Mexico 30 Dec. 1857. He was appointed paid attaché there in 1860, and remained there till 1866, when he was transferred as second secretary to Madrid. The British legation