he resigned the recordership ‘because of his great age, and impotency to travel, and failing of sight.’ He married Catharine, daughter of Sir William Wigston, his predecessor in the office of recorder of Warwick.
Aglionby is the translator of ‘A notable and maruailous epistle of the famous Doctor Mathewe Gribalde, professor of the law in the vniuersitie of Padua: concerning the terrible iudgement of god vpon hym, that for feare of men denyeth Christ, and the knowen veritie: with a Preface of Doctor Caluine. Translated out of Latin intoo English by E. A.’ Worcester (printed by John Oswen), 1550. It was republished at London, without date, by Henry Denham, for William Norton: ‘Now newely imprinted, with a godly and wholesome preseruative against desperation, at all tymes necessarie for the soule: chiefly to be vsed when the deuill dooeth assaulte vs moste fiercely, and death approacheth nighest.’ That Aglionby was the E. A. of the title-page is clear from the acrostic contained in ‘An Epigram of the terrible example of one Francis Spera an Italian, of whom this booke is compiled.’
[Cooper's Athenæ Cantabrigienses, ii. 21, 543; Nichols's Progresses of Queen Elizabeth (1823), i. 309, 310.]
AGLIONBY, JOHN, D.D. (d. 1611), a native of Cumberland, was sent to Queen's College, Oxford, in 1583, where in due time he became a fellow, and after he was ordained became a distinguished preacher. Whilst travelling abroad he made the acquaintance of the celebrated Bellarmine. He took the degree of D.D. on 17 June 1600, and became rector of Islip, where he died on 6 Feb. 1610–11; he held the office of principal of St. Edmund Hall, which is still in the gift of Queen's College, since 4 April 1601. He was chaplain in ordinary to Elizabeth as well as to James I, and is said to have been a man of great learning, but has left no publication, though he is said by Anthony à Wood to have had a considerable share in the authorised version of the New Testament, which was published the year after his death.
[Wood's Athenæ and Hist. Antiq. Univ. Oxon.]
AGNEW, Sir ANDREW (1687–1771), lieutenant-general, fifth baronet of Lochnaw, co. Wigton, N.B., and twelfth and last of the hereditary sheriffs of Galloway, was the eldest of the twenty-one children of Sir James, the fourth baronet of Lochnaw, and was born is 1687. He joined Marlborough's army as a volunteer immediately after the battle of Blenheim, and on 11 May 1705 was commissioned as cornet in Major Andrew Agnew's troop of Lord John Hay's ‘Royal Scottish dragoons’—now the Scots Greys—with which he fought bravely at Ramillies, Oudenarde, and Malplaquet. At the peace of Utrecht he was reduced as captain on half-pay of the Scots Greys. Soon after he eloped with a kinswoman, the daughter of Captain Thomas Agnew of the same regiment. This lady, to whom he was married in London, bore him eighteen children. She survived her husband, and died at the age of eighty-seven. At the time of the rebellion of 1715–16 the young laird of Lochnaw was on full-pay in Colonel Pocock's regiment, which was disbanded in Ireland in 1718, when he was removed to the 21st Royal Scots fusiliers, with which corps he served upwards of a quarter of a century, becoming lieutenant-colonel in 1740, and commanding it with distinction at the battle of Dettingen. He held brigade commands under the Duke of Cumberland in Flanders, at Bruges, Ghent, and Ostend, and at the head of his Scots fusiliers accompanied the army sent to Scotland in 1746, when he was detached to Blair Castle, and with miserable resources made a gallant stand against the rebels there from 17 March until relieved at the end of the month. For this service he received the special thanks of the Duke of Cumberland. An account of the transaction was published long after by the late General Melville, who was present as an ensign, under the title, ‘Original and Genuine Narrative of the remarkable Blockade and Attack of Blair Castle by the Forces of the Rebels in the Spring of 1746. By a Subaltern Officer of H.M. Garrison’ (Edinburgh, 1808). After the battle of Culloden, Agnew accompanied his Scots fusiliers to Glasgow, where he left them on promotion to the colonelcy of the 10th marines. There is preserved at Lochnaw a banner of rich crimson silk, worked with the Agnew arms, which is said to have been carried, as a regimental colour, by the Scots fusiliers at Dettingen. An old popular tune, ‘The boatie and the wee pickle row,’ once the favourite regimental quick-step, is still called after him ‘the Sheriff's march.’ But despite his long and popular connection with the regiment, it is a curious fact that Sir Andrew Agnew's name is never once mentioned in the ‘Historical Record, 2lst Fusiliers,’ compiled some years ago by the late Mr. Cannon, of the Adjutant-general's Office, Horse Guards. The colonelcy of the 10th marines appears to have been no sinecure, as Sir A. Agnew, M.P., the eighth baronet, in his very curious