born about 1707, matriculated at St. John's College, Oxford, in 1729, and graduated B.A. and M.A. in 1748. He was rector of St. Lucy's, Barbadoes, and fellow of the Royal Society in 1750, when he published a 'Natural History of Barbados.' The work, a folio of 314 pages, with a map and twenty-nine plates, mostly by Ehret, was published by subscription. Hughes also contributed a paper 'Of a Zoophyton resembling the Flower of the Marigold' to the 'Philosophical Transactions' for 1743, xlii. 590.
[Foster's Alumni Oxonienses.]
HUGHES, HENRY GEORGE (1810–1872), Irish judge, born in Dublin on 22 Aug. 1810, was eldest son of James Hughes, solicitor, of Dublin, by his wife Margaret, daughter of Trevor Stannus Morton of Dublin,solicitor. Hughes received his early education at a private school in Jervis Street, Dublin, and subsequently entered Trinity College, but did not proceed to a degree. In Hilary term 1830 he was admitted a student of the King's Inns, Dublin, and in Trinity term 1832 of Gray's Inn, London; he was called to the Irish bar in Michaelmas term 1834.
Hughes devoted himself almost exclusively to the chancery courts, and in 1837 published a ‘Chancery Practice,’ which had a considerable success. He rapidly acquired an extensive practice, and was specially known for his complete mastery of all the details of chancery procedure, then much more complicated than at present. In 1844 he took silk, and as a leader continued to enjoy a very large practice, especially in the rolls court. In 1850 he was appointed by Lord John Russell solicitor–general for Ireland, and held that office till the fall of Lord John's government in 1852. During this period the Ecclesiastical Titles Act was passed, and Hughes as a Roman catholic incurred some unpopularity with the more zealous of his co-religionists from his connection with the government. He nevertheless received the support of the Roman catholic bishop and clergy when he unsuccessfully contested Cavan in 1855. In 1856 he was returned for Longford, but did not secure re-election at the general election of 1857. In 1858 he was again solicitor-general for Ireland in Lord Palmerston's administration, and in 1859, on the return of Lord Palmerston to power, was appointed a baron of the court of exchequer in succession to Baron Richards. On the bench Hughes was one of the rare instances of a chancery lawyer making a successful common law judge. He continued a member of the court of exchequer till his death on 22 July 1872.
In 1836 he married Sarah Isabella, daughter of Major Francis L'Estrange. Two daughters survived him, the elder now the wife of Lord Morris (lord of appeal); the younger the wife of Mr. Edward Fitzgerald of Fitz William Place, Dublin.
[Annual Register, 1872; Life of Frederick Lucas, London, 1886, ii. 197; information from the family.]
HUGHES, HUGH (y Bardd Coch) (1693–1776), Welsh poet, born on 22 March 1693, was son of Gruffydd Hughes, who derived his lineage, according to the Welsh genealogies, from Tegeryn ab Carwed, the lord of Twrcelyn. He was chiefly self-educated. He resided chiefly on his estate at Llwydiarth Esgob, near Llanerchymedd, Anglesea. He died on 6 April 1776, and was buried in Holyhead churchyard. Hughes's verses were held in high esteem by Goronwy Owen. He is one of the three Anglesea poets whose works are found in the ‘Diddanwch Teuluaidd neu waith Beirdd Mon’ (London, 1763; 2nd edition, Carnarvon, 1817; 3rd edition, Liverpool, 1879). Other poems by him occur in the 'Blodeugerdd,' 'Diddanwch i'w Feddianydd' (Dublin, 1773), and 'Dewisol Ganiadau.' Hughes also published 'Dial Ahaz,' 'Deddfau Moesoldeb,' and 'Rheolau Bywyd Dynol' (Dublin, 1774), all three purporting to be translations from English works. He left behind him several valuable manuscripts containing poems, translations, tales, and biographies. Most of these came into the possession of his son, who succeeded to the estate, and many have since been lost, but a few are preserved at the British Museum.
[Information from the Rev. R. Jenkin Jones; biographical sketch prefixed to Diddanwch Teuluaidd,ed.1817; Rowlands's Llyfryddiaeth, s.a. 1763; Works of Goronwy Owen, ed. Jones, i. 80.]
HUGHES, HUGH (1790?–1863), artist, born at Pwllygwichiad, near Llandudno, son of Thomas Hughes, by Jane, his wife, was baptised at Llandudno, according to the parish register, 20 Feb. 1790. He lost his parents in childhood, and was educated by his maternal grandfather, Hugh Williams of Meddiant Farm, Llansantffraid Glan Conwy, Denbighshire. In due time Hughes was apprenticed to an engraver at Liverpool. From Liverpool he removed to London as an improver,and took lessons in oil–painting. The earliest known specimen of his handiwork is a portrait (dated 1812) of the Rev. John Evans (1723-1817) of Bala, which was engraved in vol. iii. of the 'Drysorfa.' He spent three years (1819-22) at Meddiant Farm, working at his 'Beauties of Cambria,' his best–known work. Hughes returned to