Middlewich. Hulse was of diminutive stature and an irritable temperament. He was well versed in medicine, and played on the violin, flute, and organ. These accomplishments, coupled with his retired habits, caused him to be regarded by the peasantry as a magician. Though he ceased to communicate with his brothers and sisters, they benefited under his will. To the university of Cambridge he bequeathed estates in Cheshire for the advancement and reward of religious learning, to be applied, first, to maintain two divinity scholars at St. John's College; secondly, to found a prize for a dissertation; thirdly, to found and support the office of Christian advocate; and fourthly, that of the Hulsean lecturer or Christian preacher. By a statute confirmed by the queen in council, 1 Aug. 1860, the office of Hulsean professor of divinity was substituted for that of Christian advocate, and the office of Hulsean lecturer was considerably modified. He married in 1733 Mary Hall of Hermitage, near Holmes Chapel, Cheshire. Their only son, Edward, died at the age of twenty-two.
[Memoir prefixed to Richard Parkinson's Hulsean Lectures ('Rationalism and Revelation'),1838; Cambr. Univ. Cal. 1871, p. 219.]
HULSE, Sir SAMUEL (1747–1837), third baronet, field-marshal, second son of Sir Edward Hulse, second baronet, by his wife Hannah, daughter of Samuel Vanderplank, merchant, and grandson of Sir Edward Hulse (1682-1759) [q. v.], was born in 1747 and entered the army in the 1st foot guards as ensign on 17 Dec. 1761. As captain and lieutenant-colonel he was present with his battalion during the Gordon riots in 1780, and as brevet-colonel and regimental first major he commanded the first battalion of his regiment with the Duke of York at the siege of Valenciennes, in the brilliant affair under Lake at Lincelles, and the operations before Dunkirk until October 1793, when he returned home on promotion. Returning to Flanders as major-general in May 1794, he commanded a brigade in some minor affairs near Tournay and in the retreat to Bremen. Coming home early in 1795, he was appointed to the home staff', and commanded at Brighton for three years. In 1798 he became lieutenant-general, and was despatched to Ireland with reinforcements, including a brigade of guards. He returned to his command at Brighton in November of that year, served under the Duke of York in the expedition to the Helder in 1799, and afterwards succeeded Lord Grey in command of the south-eastern district. He became a full general in 1803, lieutenant-general of Chelsea Hospital in 1806, and governor in 1820. In 1830, at the coronation of William IV, Hulse and Sir Alured Clarke [q. v.], as the two oldest generals, were created field-marshals. Hulse was a G.C.H. and a privy councillor. He was colonel in succession of the 56th, 19th, and 62nd foot. He was one of the first appointed by George III to the suite of the young Prince of Wales (afterwards George IV), and was for many years the prince's treasurer and receiver-general. On George IV's accession to the throne Hulse became treasurer of the household, and in 1827 vice-chamberlain, which office he retained till the king's death. He died at his residence in Chelsea Hospital on 1 Jan. 1837, at the age of , unmarried, and was buried in the family vault at Erith, Kent.
[Foster's Baronetage;Army Lists; Hamilton's Hist. Gren. Guards, vol. ii.; Gent. Mag. 1837, pt. i. 320.]
HULTON, WILLIAM ADAM (1802–1887), lawyer and antiquary, son of Lieutenant-colonel Henry Hulton, was born at Preston, Lancashire, on 18 Oct. 1802, and was educated at the Manchester grammar school. He entered the Middle Temple in 1822, and was called to the bar in 1827. From 1831 to 1849 he was treasurer of the county of Lancaster. On the establishment of the present county court system in 1847 he became judge of a circuit of county courts in Lancashire. He died at Hurst Grange, Penwortham, near Preston, on 3 March 1887. He married, in 1832, Dorothy Anne, daughter of Edward Gorst of Preston. Hulton wrote `A Treatise on the Law of Convictions,' 1835. He edited and printed with his own hands: 1. 'The Journal of [his brother] the late Jessop G. de B. Hulton from 1832 to 1836, with a Paper on the Kooree Mooree Islands,' Preston, 1844. 2. 'A Pedigree of the Hulton Family,' about 1847. 3. 'An Account of the Island of Socotra.' He joined the council of the Chetham Society in 1848, and edited two valuable works in their series of publications: 1. 'The Coucher Book, or Chartulary, of Whalley Abbey,' 1847-50, 4 vols. 2. 'Documents relating to the Priory of Penwortham, and other Possessions in Lancashire of the Abbey of Evesham,' 1853.
[J. F. Smith's Manchester School Reg. iii. 109;Foster's Lancashire Pedigrees; information from Mr. H. T. Crofton.]
HUMBERSTON, FRANCIS MACKENZIE, or FRANCIS HUMBERSTON MACKENZIE, Lord Seaforth and Mackenzie (1754–1815), lieutenant - general, brother and heir of [[Humberston, Thomas Frederick Mackenzie Humberston-