the bookseller, to reprint the book without the woodcuts. In 1866 he was elected a member of the Roxburghe Club, but never attended a meeting. He printed, in limited impressions of fifty copies, edited by Mr. W. Carew Hazlitt, the 'Narrative of the Journey of an Irish Gentleman through England in the year 1752,' in 1869; in 1870 'Inedited Poetical Miscellanies, 1584-1700;' in 1874 'Prefaces, Dedications, and Epistles, selected from Early English Books, 1540-1701;' and in 1875 'Fugitive Tracts, 1493-1700,' 2 vols. In 1861 he caused to be translated into Spanish the first chapter of the second volume of Buckle's 'History of Civilisation,' for the author, who was one of his greatest friends. About ten years before his death he commenced a catalogue of his library, but, finding that the time at his disposal was inadequate, he employed Mr. W. C. Hazlitt and Mr. F. S. Ellis to do most of the work, only revising the proofs himself. About half of the work was printed when he died suddenly on 10 Dec. 1878. He was buried in the village churchyard of Bolney in Sussex. The 'Catalogue' was continued and published in 1880.
In character Huth was unobtrusive, but kind and sympathetic, fond of retirement, and caring only for intellectual society. He was a charming talker, and was liberal in lending his books to scholars. For many years he was treasurer and president of the Royal Hospital for Incurables; in his general charities the extent of his benevolence will never be known. Hardly any application to him for help was made in rain.
He married the third daughter of Frederick Westenholz, of Waldenstein Castle in Austria, by whom he had three sons and three daughters.
[John Stansfeld's Hist. of the Stansfeld Family, Leeds, 1886, p.191; Huth Library Catalogue, pref.; Burke's Landed Gentry, art. `Huth of Oakhurst;' Times, 14 Dec. 1878; Academy, Athenæum, and Notes and Queries, 21 Dec. 1878; Boston Daily Advertiser, 24 Jan. 1879; Library Journ. iv. 26.]
HUTHWAITE, Sir EDWARD (1793?– 1873), lieutenant-general, son of William and Lucy Huthwaite, was baptised at the parish church of St. Peter, Nottingham, 24 June 1793, which in the official records is given as the date of his birth (information from India office). His father, a draper, was alderman and more than once mayor of Nottingham (Sutton, Nottingham Note-book). Huthwaite was nominated for a cadetship by Edward Parry, a director of the East India Company, entered the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, 19 Aug. 1807, and was appointed second lieutenant in the East India Company's Bengal artillery, 13 Nov. 1810. His subsequent military commissions were: first lieutenant 25 Sept. 1817, brevet captain 12 Nov. 1825, captain 30 Aug. 1826, major 20 Jan. 1842, lieutenant-colonel 3 July 1845, brevet-colonel 20 June 1854, colonel; 23 June 1854, colonel-commandant same date, major-general 14 March 1857, lieutenant-general 6 March 1868. His first recorded military employment was recruiting for golundauze (native foot-artillery men) at Chittagong in 1812. He served as a lieutenant-fireworker of foot-artillery in the campaigns in Nepaul in 1815-16, which were remarkable for the personal exertions and continuous toil undergone by officers and men (Stubbs, ii. 35). He was present at the reduction of various forts in Oude in the hot season of 1817, and was in the field with the central column of the grand army in the Mahratta war of 1817-18. When the Burmese invaded Cachar, a province under British protection, in January 1824, Huthwaite was sent thither with a draft of golundauze. Brigadier Innes, in his report on an affair' with the Burmese at Tachyon, 8 July 1824, expressed himself 'much indebted to Lieutenant Huthwaite, who, though labouring under severe fever, rendered the most essential service' (London Gazette, 15 March 1825). Huthwaite went afterwards on sick leave to Singapore and China. As brevet-captain he commanded a foot-battery at the siege and capture of Bhurtpore in 1825-6. He was appointed brigade-major of the artillery with the force ordered to assemble at Ajmeer, for service in Rajpootana, in November 1834, but was ordered back to Neemuch, as his company did not form part of the force. He commanded the Megwar artillery division at various periods from 1836 to 1840; was posted to the 2nd brigade horse-artillery, 15 March 1842; and was placed in command of two troops of his brigade at Loodianah He commanded the artillery of the Megwar field force from 30 Dec. 1840 to 1844, and was highly commended for his `zeal, ability, and firmness' (India office inspector report, 17-18 Jan. 1844). He commanded the 3rd brigade Bengal horse-artillery in the first Sikh war of 1845-6 at Ferozeshah, was made C.B. for his services, and was mentioned in despatches. He also distinguished himself at Sobraon, and was brigadier of the foot-artillery with Lord Gough in the army of the Punjaub, in the second Sikh war in 1848-9, at the two passages of the Chenab, and the battles of Chillianwalla and Goojerat. Huthwaite commanded the artillery of the force under General Gilbert which crossed the Jhelum and, after receiving the surrender of