examined by the second committee of the House of Commons respecting the record commissioners on 2 March 1836, and gave most interesting evidence. Before his death he became blind and fell into poverty. A subscription was made for him at the Incorporated Law Society in Chancery Lane. He died at 13 Brooksby Street, South Islington, on 21 Feb. 1845 (Somerset House Register). His peculiar temper hindered his advancement. As examples of his unrivalled familiarity with old law and records, it may be mentioned that in the case of Roe v. Brenton he produced from the lord treasurer's remembrancer's office an important extent of the assessionable manors of the duchy of Cornwall in the reign of Edward II, and in the case of the Mayor and Corporation of Bristol against Bush he brought forward rolls of the reign of Henry VI, which established the rights of the corporation of Bristol to all the tolls upon shipping coming in and out of the port. Illingworth became F.S.A. in 1805.
His elder brother, Cayley Illingworth, born about 1758, was educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge, and graduated B.A. in 1781 as tenth senior optime. He proceeded M.A. in 1787 and D.D. in 1811. In 1783 he was presented to the rectory of Scampton, Lincolnshire, and was subsequently vicar of Stainton-by-Langworth and rector of Epworth in the same county. In July 1802 he was preferred to a prebend in Lincoln Cathedral, which he resigned in March 1808 on becoming archdeacon of Stow (Le Neve, Fasti, ed. Hardy, ii. 81, 143). He died on 28 Aug. 1823 at Scampton, in his sixty-fifth year, having married, on 8 May 1783, Miss Sophia Harvey, who survived him, together with two sons and four daughters (Gent. Mag. vol. lii. pt. i. p. 451, vol. xciii. pt. ii. p. 279). Illingworth was elected F.S.A. in 1809. He is the author of 'A Topographical Account of the Parish of Scampton in the County of Lincoln, and of the Roman Antiquities lately discovered there; together with Anecdotes of the Family of Bolles,' 4to [London, 1808], an excellent work, enriched with drawings, portraits, and pedigrees. In 1810 he reissued it, intending to apply the profits from its sale to charitable uses.
[J. F. Smith's Reg. Manchester Grammar School (Chetham Soc.); Report of Record Commission, 1836.]
ILLTYD or ILTUTUS (fl. 520), sometimes called Illtyd Farchog, or The Knight, Welsh saint, was born in Brittany, being the son of Bicanys, by a sister of Emrys Llydaw called Riengulida, and therefore a great-nephew of St. Germanus [q. v.], bishop of Auxerre, whose disciple also he was. The oldest, and probably on that account the most trustworthy, account of his life is to be found in the lives of SS. Gildas, Samson, and Maglorius, which were written about 600 or soon after, and are published in Mabillon's `Acta Sanctorum Ordinis S. Benedicti,' Venice, 1733, i. 131, 154 sqq., 209 (see also Liber Landavensis, p.287, for the life of St. Samson). Here the name is variously given as Hildutus and Eltutus, and it is stated that he had a school on a small and barren island, which was, however, joined to the mainland in answer to his prayers, and became known as Llanilltyd Fawr, which is the Welsh form for Llantwit Major in Glamorganshire. Gildas, Samson, bishop of Dol, and Maglorius, Samson's successor at Dol, are said to have been at Illtyd's school. Owing, perhaps, to a misreading of the life of St. Samson, it is erroneously stated in the 'Life of St. Pol de Leon,' written in 884 (published in (Revue Celtique,' v. 413-60), that the school was in Caldey Island.
Fuller details of Illtyd's life are given in Cottonian MSS. Vespasian, A. xiv., a manuscript written in the eleventh or twelfth century, printed indifferently in Rees's 'Cambro-British Saints,' pp. 465-94, and abridged in Capgrave's 'Nova Legenda Angliæ,' fol. clxxxvii. It is there related that Illtyd in his early days took to the profession of arms, crossed from Brittany to the court of King Arthur, afterwards came to Glamorgan, and attached himself for a time to the court of the regulus of that district. On one occasion he joined the king's family in a hunt, in course of which the territory of St. Cadoc [q.v.] was entered upon, and all excepting Illtyd are said to have been miraculously swallowed up by the earth for insulting Cadoc, who then easily succeeded in inducing Illtyd to renounce the world and to devote himself to religion (see 'Life of St. Cadoc' in Rees's Cambro-British Saints, p.337; Capgrave, loc. cit.; Walter Mapes, De Nugis Curialium, ed. Wright for Camd. Soc., p.76). Submitting to the tonsure and assuming the clerical habit, he was ordained by Dubricius, bishop of Llandaff. He built a church, and afterwards a monastery, which may be identified with the school already referred to, at Llantwit Major, under the patronage of Meirchion, a chieftain of Glamorgan (cf. Liber Landavensis, p.320). He attracted a number of scholars to him, especially from Brittany, including, in addition to those mentioned in the earlier biography, St. David, St. Lunarius, and St. Paul Aurelian, otherwise St. Pol de Leon. The college continued