3 Sept. 1841, and sworn of the privy council. The same year (15 June) he was created D.C.L. by the university of Oxford. On 11 Dec. 1845 he was made G.C.B. Liverpool's health was not good, and he resigned office in 1846. He died very suddenly on 3 Oct. 1851 at Buxted Park. A portrait at Buxted belonged to Lady Portman, and a miniature by Ross is the property of the second earl (of the second creation). He married, on 19 July 1810, Julia Evelyn Medley (d. 1814), only child of Sir George Shuckburgh Evelyn, and by her left three daughters. The peerage became extinct on his death, but the baronetcy passed to a cousin, Sir Charles Jenkinson.
[Information kindly passed by C. G. S. Foljambe, esq., grandson of the third Earl of Liverpool; Times 6 and 7 Oct. 1851; Ann. Reg. 1851, p. 335; Gent. Mag. 1851, ii. 538; Foster's Alumni Oxon.; Burke's Extinct Peerage.]
JENKINSON, JOHN BANKS (1781–1840), bishop of St. Davids, second son of John Jenkinson, by Frances, daughter of Rear-admiral John Barker of Guildford, was born at Winchester on 2 Sept. 1781. John Jenkinson, the father, was brother of Charles Jenkinson, first earl of Liverpool [q. v.]; was a colonel in the army, joint secretary for Ireland, and gentleman-usher to Queen Charlotte; and died on 1 May 1805. John Banks Jenkinson was educated at Winchester, where he was elected scholar in 1793. On 22 Dec. 1800 he matriculated from Christ Church, Oxford, graduated B.A. in 1804, and proceeded M.A. in 1807, and D.D. in 1817. He became prebendary of Worcester on 30 Aug. 1808, rector of Leverington, Cambridgeshire, on 8 July 1812, dean of Worcester on 28 Nov. 1817, and master of St. Oswalds, Worcester, on 8 Jan. 1818. On 23 July 1825 he was elected bishop of St. Davids, and on 4 Aug. 1825 was appointed canon of Durham. On 13 June 1827 he became dean of Durham, and held the deanery, then worth 9,000l. a year, with his bishopric for the remainder of his life. He died at Great Malvern on 7 July 1840, and was buried in Worcester Cathedral. Jenkinson was a man of amiable disposition, and possessed a fine library; he maintained a school for the children of the poor at Carmarthen, which usually contained 150 scholars. He published a few separate sermons. He married, on 8 April 1813, Frances Augusta, daughter of Augustus Pechell of Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire, and by her left two sons and two daughters. The eldest son, George Samuel Jenkinson, succeeded his uncle, Sir Charles, as eleventh baronet in 1855.
[Richardson's Local Historian's Table Book, v. 176; Foster's Baronetage; Kirby's Winchester Scholars, p. 283; Foster's Index Ecclesiasticus, p. 98; Foster's Alumni Oxon. p. 749; Gent. Mag. 1840, ii. 321.]
JENKINSON, ROBERT BANKS, second Earl of Liverpool (1770–1828), eldest son of Charles Jenkinson, afterwards first earl of Liverpool [q. v.], was born on 7 June 1770. He was educated at Charterhouse, under Dr. Beardmore, and in 1786 proceeded to Christ Church, where he lived much in the society of Lord Granville Leveson, afterwards first earl Granville, and of George Canning. In 1789 he left Oxford, went to Paris, witnessed the capture of the Bastile, and continued to travel on the continent during the greater part of the next three years. By the influence of Sir James Lowther he was returned to parliament for Appleby in 1790; from 1796 until December 1803 he represented Rye. He had not spoken when Pitt selected him in 1791 as the first speaker against Whitbread's motion censuring the government for its increase of the navy in view of the Russian war with Turkey. His speech made a strong impression. In 1792 he visited Coblenz, and there associated with the principal émigrés and the Prussian and Austrian leaders (see Lord Buckland, Journal, ii. 439, 440). In a speech on 15 Dec. 1792 he strongly opposed an amendment to the address moved by Fox in favour of negotiation with France. In February 1793, after the execution of Louis XVI, he again advocated immediate war, and in May he vigorously opposed Grey's motion for parliamentary reform. These speeches established his reputation. Pitt appointed him to a seat at the India board. Except during the short whig administration of 1806, he was never out of office again till his last illness.
For some years he made slow progress in parliament. He served on garrison duty as colonel of the Kentish militia at Dumfries and elsewhere. In 1796, when his father was raised to an earldom, he became (by courtesy) Lord Hawkesbury, and was appointed in 1799 master of the mint. In the main he was in accord with Pitt on all the points of his policy; but, being unfavourable to any Roman catholic concessions, he retained office under Addington, and, on 20 Feb. 1801, was promoted to the foreign office and a seat in the cabinet. Four days after taking this office he began negotiations for peace, which lasted until October, when plenipotentiaries were sent to Amiens. He defended his policy in the House of Commons in a speech in November 1801, which Lord Muncaster called ‘the most chaste speech of a man of business I almost ever heard,’ and again, in a debate on Windham's motion for an address of censure