JERVIS, THOMAS (1748–1833), unitarian minister, born at Ipswich on 13 Jan. 1748, was son of William Jervis (d. 24 March 1797, aged 72), minister of the presbyterian congregation in St. Nicholas Street, Ipswich. He was educated for the ministry in London at Wellclose Square, under David Jennings [q. v.], and at Hoxton, under Savage, Kippis, and Rees. In 1770 he became classical and mathematical tutor at the Exeter academy, having also the charge of a presbyterian congregation at Lympstone, Devonshire. In 1771–2 he shared with James Perry Bartlett the charge of the congregations at Lympstone and Topsham, Devonshire. William Petty, second earl of Shelburne, engaged him in 1772, on the recommendation of Richard Price, D.D., as resident tutor to his sons at Bowood, Wiltshire, a situation which he filled till 1783. Here he associated with Priestley, who was Shelburne's librarian till 1780. Jervis, who was ordained in 1779, removed to London about 1783, and became minister of the presbyterian congregation in St. Thomas Street, Southwark. He was elected a trustee of Dr. Williams's foundations in 1786. On the death of Kippis he was elected his successor (1796) at Princes Street, Westminster. Up to this time his views were low Arian, and it is doubtful whether they underwent any further development. In the summer of 1808 he succeeded William Wood as minister of the unitarian congregation at Mill Hill, Leeds. He resigned this charge, and left the active ministry in 1818. Returning to London, he was re-elected to Dr. Williams's trust in 1823. His closing years were spent in literary leisure. He died at Brompton Grove on 31 Aug. 1833, and was buried in the churchyard of Fryerning, Essex. He married Frances Mary, daughter of John Disney, D.D. [q. v.]
He published nineteen separate sermons and addresses (1784–1820), some of which are reprinted in (1) ‘Sermons,’ &c., 1811, 8vo; (2) ‘Remarks in Refutation of … Story of a Supernatural Appearance related by the Rev. R. Warner,’ &c., 1831, 8vo; reprinted 1832, 8vo. He wrote many biographies for the ‘Gentleman's Magazine’ and ‘Monthly Repository,’ and several hymns for the collections of Kippis and others. One of his hymns, of great beauty, written in 1795, ‘Sweet is the friendly voice,’ is in Martineau's collections.
John Jervis (1752–1820), younger brother of the above, was born at Ipswich in 1752. He succeeded his brother at Lympstone in 1773, was ordained in 1779, and held this charge till his death on 27 Oct. 1820. He was a fellow of the Linnean Society, and a mineralogist. His religious views resembled those of his brother.
[Unitarian Chronicle, 1833, pp. 317 sq. (memoir of T. Jervis, by G[eorge] K[enrick]); Monthly Repository, 1820, pp. 680 sq. (obituary of J. Jervis, by T[homas] J[ervis]); Wilson's Diss. Churches of London, 1814, iv. 117, 317; Murch's Hist. Presb. and Gen. Bapt. Ch. in West of Engl. 1835, pp. 355 sq.; Wicksteed's Lectures on Mill Hill Chapel, Leeds, 1849, pp. 93 sq.; Browne's Hist. Congr. Norf. and Suff., 1877, p. 392; Jeremy's Presbyterian Fund, 1885, pp. 172 sq.]
JERVIS, WILLIAM HENLEY PEARSON- (1813–1883), ecclesiastical historian of France, second son of Hugh Nicholas Pearson [q. v.], dean of Salisbury from 1823 to 1846, was born on 29 June 1813 at Oxford. In 1824 he was sent to a preparatory school at Mitcham, Surrey, whence he was removed two years later to Harrow School. He distinguished himself at Harrow, but, unfortunately, at the sacrifice of his health. In 1831 he entered Christ Church, Oxford, but a severe illness from spinal complaint threw him back a year in his course of study. He availed himself of the leisure thus forced upon him to cultivate a strong natural taste for music and singing. In June 1835 he graduated B.A. (M.A. 1838); in July of the following year he was ordained deacon, and in 1837 was instituted to the rectory of St. Nicholas, Guildford. He was appointed by his father, then dean of Salisbury, a prebendary of the collegiate church of Heytesbury, Wiltshire. In 1848 he married Martha Jervis, daughter of Osborne Markham, esq., son of the Archbishop of York. His wife's mother was a grand-niece of John Jervis, earl St. Vincent [q. v.], and on her death in 1865 Pearson assumed the surname of Jervis. Owing to the delicate state of his health, Jervis and his wife resided abroad for six years (November 1856 to July 1862), chiefly in the south of France and in Paris. Here he studied, in the archives of Pau, Bayonne, and other places, as well as in the Bibliothèque Nationale at Paris, the memoirs and documents illustrating the ecclesiastical history of France. The fruit of his labours appeared in 1872 in a book entitled ‘A History of the Church of France from the Concordat of Bologna to the Revolution,’ 2 vols. 8vo. Ten years later he published, as a sequel to this work, ‘The Gallican Church and the French Revolution,’ 8vo. A smaller work by him appeared in Murray's series of manuals, under the name of ‘The Student's History of France.’ The books collected by Jervis for his church history were subsequently presented by his widow to the London Library. He never quite rallied from the loss of his brother, Hugh Pearson, vicar of Sonning and canon