as a ‘wicked old man,’ ‘in whom the spirit of humanity had been long exorcised by the spirit of an ecclesiastic’ (Froude, Hist. of England, ii. 68). He was the friend of Richard Kedermyster [q. v.], to whom he dedicated his ‘Quinque Sermones,’ preached in 1517, and printed by Pynson in that year (copies are at Lambeth and in the British Museum). But the highest testimony in his favour is that of Sir Thomas More, who, when defending the ‘Novum Instrumentum’ of Erasmus, says that Longland, dean of Salisbury, ‘a second Colet’ (‘alter, ut ejus laudes uno verbo complectar, Coletus’), whether his preaching or the purity of his life were regarded, ceased not to declare that he had gained more light on the New Testament from Erasmus's writings than from almost all the other commentaries he possessed (Epistolæ aliquot Eruditorum, 1520, leaf M. iiii.) He also established an almshouse in his native town of Henley. His death took place on 7 May 1547. In his will he directed that his heart should be buried in front of the high altar at Lincoln, his bowels at Woburn, where he died, and the rest of his body in the collegiate church of Eton (Le Neve, Fasti, i. 21). The epitaph on his brass ‘in Eaton Coll. chappell about the middle’ is preserved in Henry Wharton's collections (Lambeth MSS. No. 585, p. 371). A ‘fair tomb of marble’ was erected for him in his cathedral at Lincoln, on the frieze above which was the punning legend alluding to his name: ‘Longa terra mansura ejus; Dominus dedit.’ The reference is to the Vulgate, Job xi. 9. The works Longland printed, besides those already mentioned, were ‘Tres Conciones,’ published with a reissue of the ‘Quinque Sermones’ by Pynson about 1527 (copies are at Lambeth and the British Museum). The first ‘Concio’ is dated 1519; another is the one delivered at Oxford on the laying of the foundation-stone of King's College (Christ Church) in 1525. Longland also published ‘Expositiones Concionales’ on the Penitential Psalms, and a ‘Concio’ preached 27 Nov. 1527 (London, by Pynson, 1531).
[Authorities quoted; Wood's Athenæ, ed. Bliss, i. 161; Maxwell Lyte's Hist. of Eton College, 2nd ed. pp. 119, 120; Colet's Lectures on Romans, Introd. pp. xxxv–vi; Maitland's Early Printed Books at Lambeth. An abstract of his mother's will, dated 13 Sept. 1527, is given by Kennett (Lansdowne MS. 938, fol. 71).]
LONGLAND, WILLIAM (1330?–1400?), poet. [See Langland.]
LONGLEY, CHARLES THOMAS (1794–1868), archbishop of Canterbury, born at Boley Hill, Rochester, 28 July 1794, was fifth son of John Longley, a well-known political writer, who was recorder of Rochester, and one of the magistrates at the Thames police court, and died 5 April 1822. Charles, after attending a private school at Cheam, Surrey, was elected a king's scholar at Westminster in 1808; and his name carved by himself may still be seen in the dormitory. Elected student of Christ Church, Oxford, he graduated B.A. 1815, taking a first class in classics, M.A. 1818, B.D. and D.D. 1829. He was Greek reader in his college 1822, tutor and censor 1825–8, examiner in the classical schools in 1825 and 1826, and proctor in 1827. His handsome face and winning manner achieved for him much popularity in Oxford. In 1818 he took holy orders, and became curate at Cowley to the incumbent, Thomas Vowler Short (afterwards bishop of St. Asaph). On 1 Nov. 1823 Longley succeeded Short in the living, and on 30 Aug. 1827 he became rector of West Tytherley, Hampshire. Longley was elected head-master of Harrow School on 21 March 1829. He remained there for seven years, and although the number of boys grew under his rule from 115 to 165, much laxity of discipline prevailed. On 15 Oct. 1836 Lord Melbourne nominated Longley the first bishop of the newly founded see of Ripon. His episcopate was most successful (cf. speech of Sir Robert Peel in the House of Commons on 5 May 1843). He firmly suppressed ‘Roman catholic teaching and practices’ in the church of St. Saviour, Leeds, in 1848, and his action created adverse comment, but his critics altered their tone when several of the clergy of St. Saviour's went over to Rome. On the resignation of Dr. Edward Maltby [q. v.], Longley was, on Lord Palmerston's recommendation, translated to the see of Durham 13 Oct. 1856. On 1 June 1860 he succeeded Dr. Thomas Musgrave in the archbishopric of York; on 9 June 1860 he was gazetted a privy councillor; and on 20 Oct. 1862 he was promoted to the see of Canterbury. In 1864 arose the difficulty respecting Dr. J. W. Colenso and the Natal bishopric. Longley never hesitated to declare his conviction of the unsoundness of Dr. Colenso's teaching, and affirmed that he was rightly deposed from the episcopate. At the same time he cautiously abstained from committing himself to anything which might seem to bring the church at home into conflict with the law. His primacy was more particularly distinguished by the Lambeth or Pan-Anglican synod—a meeting in London on 24–7 Sept. 1867 of seventy-eight British, colonial, and foreign prelates, on the invitation of the archbishop, in order ‘to make a demonstration of