School under the eminent surgeons, James Long and Alfred Higginson. After completing his time with Spence he removed to London, where he studied at the British Museum. At this time he modelled his life-size group of ‘Margaret of Anjou and her son,’ which was highly commended at the first sculptural contest in Westminster Hall. One of the judges on that occasion, Samuel Joseph [q. v.], was so struck with the talent displayed that, foregoing his customary fee of five hundred guineas, he took Macbride into his studio, making him premier pupil and manager. His name appears on the list of associates of the Liverpool Academy in 1848, in which year, among his four exhibits in their gallery, was a bust of his friend Philip James Bailey [q. v.], author of ‘Festus.’ From 1836 he showed many important works in the exhibition of the Liverpool Academy, of which he became a full member in 1850, and was secretary for 1851 and 1852. During his long residence in Liverpool he executed many portrait-busts and monuments, which were placed in the institutions of the town and neighbourhood, among them being the bust of Sir William Brown, bart., in St. George's Hall, the Rev. T. S. Raffles (exhibited in Liverpool Academy in 1865) in the Great George Street Chapel, and Lieutenant-colonel Thomson, mayor of Liverpool, in the Walker Art Gallery. He executed the full-size statues of the four seasons in front of Garswood Hall for Lord Gerard, and in 1853 the marble bust of General Lord Viscount Combermere presented to the viscountess by the freemasons of the province of Cheshire, and a statue of Sir Hugh Myddelton at the Royal Exchange, London. He also modelled statuettes of Lord Clyde, Lord Havelock, Prince Albert, and a reduction of the ‘Margaret of Anjou’ group and others, which were reproduced by Messrs. Minton of Stoke. A statuette in this manner of (Sir) H. M. Stanley he completed shortly before death. He was an able art critic and lecturer, delivering successful courses on sculpture at the British Museum, at the Crystal Palace, for the corporations of Liverpool, Bradford, Greenock, and elsewhere. About 1883 he came to London, but owing to ill-health he removed to Southend-on-Sea, where he died on 4 April 1890. A portrait appeared in the ‘Graphic’ 3 May 1890.
[Liverpool Mercury, 12 Oct. 1890; communications from Mr. C. Mackenzie Macbride, the sculptor's son; Liverpool Academy Catalogues.]
MACBRIDE, JOHN DAVID (1778–1868), principal of Magdalen Hall, Oxford, born at Plympton in Devonshire, 28 June 1778, was only son of John Macbride, admiral (d. 1800) [q. v.] David Macbride, M.D. [q. v.], was his uncle. After being educated at Cheam school in Surrey, under William Gilpin (1757–1848), he was matriculated at Exeter College, Oxford, 28 March 1795. His habits were studious. He graduated B.A. 1799 and M.A. 1802, and on 9 July 1800 he was admitted a fellow of his college. On 21 and 22 Nov. 1811 he became B.C.L. and D.C.L., and in 1813 F.S.A. He interested himself in oriental literature, and in 1813 was appointed principal of Magdalen Hall, and lord almoner's reader in Arabic, succeeding in both offices Dr. Henry Ford. These two appointments he retained till his death; the latter was almost a sinecure. For some years he held several other university offices, viz. assessor of the chancellor's court, delegate of privileges, delegate of the university press, commissioner of the market. It was during his headship that the buildings of Magdalen Hall were moved (1822) from their former situation contiguous to Magdalen College to their present site. The Hall, which was in 1874 renamed Hertford College, was only comparatively successful under Macbride's administration. William Jacobson [q. v.], afterwards bishop of Chester, was for some years his vice-principal, and Macbride himself gave theological lectures to his undergraduates. He was a deeply religious layman of evangelical views. He was well off and extremely liberal, especially in helping poor members of his college. He was not a man of deep learning, but one of varied and extensive information, which he would bring out in a quaint and humorous fashion (Burgon, Lives of Twelve Good Men, ii. 297). In 1863 the jubilee of his headship was celebrated by a large gathering of members of his Hall, and by the foundation of a scholarship that bears his name. He died 24 Jan. 1868, aged 89. On 19 July 1805 he married Mary (1770–1862), second daughter of Sir Joseph Radcliffe, bart., and widow of Joseph Starkie, esq.; he and his wife are buried in Holywell cemetery, Oxford. His only child, a daughter, survived him.
Macbride's principal literary work was ‘The Mohammedan Religion explained; with an introductory Sketch of its Progress, and Suggestions for its Confutation,’ 8vo, London, 1857. It is a useful book, without any pretension to original research, but with perhaps a greater appearance of learning than it deserves, on account of its many Arabic quotations. He also published: 1. ‘Lectures explanatory of the Diatessaron,’ 8vo, Oxford, 1824; 4th edit. 1854. 2. ‘Lectures