21 Feb., one of the two tutors, and lecturer. In the same year he was proctor. In 1844 he returned to his former college, and was re-elected fellow on 2 Jan. In 1845 he was a candidate for the office of librarian of the university, vacant by the resignation of the Rev. J. Lodge. His opponent was the Rev. J. J. Smith, M.A., fellow of Gonville and Caius College, an extremely hard-working and industrious person. Power, on the other hand, though able, was known to be fond of literary ease. It was remarked, therefore, that the senate had to choose between work without Power, and Power without work. Power beat his opponent by 312 votes to 240. He resigned the office on 13 Feb. 1864. In 1856 he was presented by Clare College to the vicarage of Litlington, Cambridgeshire, which he held till 1866, when the same patrons presented him to the rectory of Birdbrook, Essex. He died there on 7 June 1868.
Power kept up his study of mathematics, and continued to write upon them till late in life. He was also an accurate scholar, and a thorough master of both the theory and the practice of music. His geniality, love of hospitality, and wide interests made him a universal favourite.
He contributed the following papers to the Transactions of the Cambridge Philosophical Society: ‘A general Demonstration of the Principle of virtual Velocities,’ 1827; ‘A Theory of Residuo-capillary Attraction,’ 1834; ‘Inquiry into the Causes which led to the fatal Accident on the Brighton Railway, 2 Oct. 1841,’ 1841; ‘On the Truth of a certain Hydrodynamical Theorem,’ 1842; ‘On the Theory of Reciprocal Action between the Solar Rays and the different Media by which they are reflected, refracted, and absorbed,’ 1854. To these may be added ‘Inquiry into the Cause of Endosmose and Exosmose,’ British Association Report, 1833.
[Cambridge Graduati and Calendar; Royal Soc. Cat. of Scientific Papers; private information.]
POWER, LIONEL (fl. 1450?), composer and writer on musical theory, is mentioned among fourteenth and fifteenth century composers by John Hothby [q. v.], in his ‘Dialogus in Arte Musica,’ a manuscript preserved in Florence, and quoted by Morelot and incorrectly by Coussemaker, who read ‘Iconal’ for ‘Leonel.’ Among the curious manuscripts in the volume once belonging to the monastery of the Holy Cross, Waltham, and now in the British Museum (Lansdowne MS. 763), is a tract on musical theory, entitled ‘Lionel Power of the Cordis of Musike.’ This work contains the rudiments of extempore descant, and thereby furnishes evidence of the existence of such a practice in early times. It describes the laws of harmonical combination adapted to the state of music as far back as the reign of Henry IV (Hawkins, History of Music, 2nd edit. i. 248, 255). Both Burney and Hawkins give extracts from Power's manuscript.
Of manuscript music by Power there are in the ‘Liceo Filarmonico’ of Bologna, Codex 37: 1. ‘Salve Regina;’ 2. ‘Alma Redemptoris;’ and 3. ‘Ave Regina.’ They are respectively signed ‘Leonell Polbero,’ ‘Leonelle,’ and ‘Leonel’ (Ambros). Several pieces by Leonell Anglicus are preserved in Codices 87 and 90 of the cathedral chapter-books of Trent, and a ‘Kyrie eleison’ by Power appears on a flyleaf of a Sarum gradual in Brit. Museum Lansdowne MS. 462, fol. 152. Other music by him is in the Este Library in Modena.
[Authorities cited; MS. Magliabecchia, No. xix. 36; Haberl's Bausteine für Musikgeschichte, i. 89, 93; information from Mr. Davey.]
POWER, Sir MANLEY (1773–1826), lieutenant-general, born in 1773, was son of Thomas Bolton Power, esq., of the Hill Court, near Ross, Herefordshire, by Ann, daughter of Captain Corney. His great-grandfather, John Power (d. 1712), had married Mercy, daughter of Thomas Manley of Erbistock, Denbighshire. Manley's first commission as ensign in the 20th foot was dated 27 Aug. 1783, when he was apparently between nine and ten years old. He was promoted to be lieutenant in 1789, and captain of an independent company in 1793. Transferred to the 20th foot on 16 Jan. 1794, he was promoted major in that regiment in 1799 and lieutenant-colonel in 1801.
Power saw much active service. After spending two years (1795–7) in Halifax, Nova Scotia, he served with the expedition to Holland in 1799; afterwards went to Minorca in 1800, and, with his regiment, joined in Egypt, in 1801, the force commanded by Sir Ralph Abercromby [q. v.] He was present at the siege and capitulation of the French troops at Alexandria. On 25 Oct. 1802 he was placed on half-pay, but from 1803 to 1805 acted as assistant adjutant-general at the Horse Guards. On 6 June 1805 he was made lieutenant-colonel of the 32nd foot, and became colonel in the army in 1810. He took part in the Peninsular war, serving with the Duke of Wellington's army in Spain till 1813, when he was promoted major-general. He was then at-